Load Test Spoiler Panel

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
Check out same in build log.... 60 mph Never exceed speed Limit Load test per FAA Glider Criteria. Interesting the CD for the spec. from Glider Criteria is over 2, (see spread sheet) recent posting had CD of this type of spoiler at 1.38 (I think that is what it said.)

As a novice stress man I feel it is imperative to load test my creations to a recognized specification. Nothing bent,.....not sure how the list might view it.
IMG_20190327_135249.jpg IMG_20190327_135558.jpg IMG_20190327_140228.jpg

Attachments

Toobuilder

Log Member
Interesting stuff here, but is there a before/after data set involved or is this new construction? If there is no baseline performance to compare this configuration to then I'd humbly opine that this belongs elsewhere on the forum.

proppastie

Log Member
Interesting stuff here, but is there a before/after data set involved or is this new construction? If there is no baseline performance to compare this configuration to then I'd humbly opine that this belongs elsewhere on the forum.
It is new design/construction...one my mission's is to convert the mostly wood Carbon Dragon to Aluminum. The platform is close to the same but the structure is all my design. I am testing to see if the structure meets specifications.....it is a test ......I thought the list might like to comment on the details/loading of the test.

Toobuilder

Log Member
No doubt we would! But this particular section is focused on the "results" of testing multiple options. The object is to give the readers clear, real world data comparing one option over another. It's also biased heavily toward dynamic testing, but a case could be made for a static test if you could demonstrate (for example) the "old" spoiler vs. your design if yours was lighter, easier, more effective, etc.

You have a great thread topic, just stuck in the growing pains of a new section.

proppastie

Log Member
Perhaps the mod should decide. Certainly could be moved.