LiteFighters: P-40/P-36 and beyond

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

Supporting Member

Hawk81A

So I watched the video. You even put a pair of scaled Brownings in there! What attention to detail. Dennis

ScaleBirdsScott

I think the best paint job would be Lt Rasmussen's at Perl Harbor

That was the original plan and, would look good. But maintaining a polished/bare metal airplane in a good looking order is a real chore over time and getting the fiberglass to even remotely look like bare aluminum isn't really a thing we have mastered. So it'd call for potentially just painting the whole thing to match. And that's also not easy to get looking great. So we went with what might have been Lt. Starling's stolen mount's paint and figure that's a story worth telling even if the colors and story ain't as iconic as Rasmussen's.

I won't be surprised if some kits of the P-36 make it into the Rasmussen livery tho, if all works to plan.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
In ancient times, when humans only were available in two genders, the plastic scale modelers used to have a special paint called "Liqua-Plate", which you airbrushed on and then could polish to look like aluminum. They made different shades of it to replicate copper, aluminum, titanium, steel, etc. The plastic airplane modelers and railroad modelers used it with great results.

The stuff came in tiny 1/2 oz bottles like all small model paints, so I have no idea if there is an industrial size available.

But I do remember clearly that when it was done right, it looked just like polished and/or semi-polished aluminum depending on how much time you put in. So if you ever wanted to have composite parts that look like metal parts, there was once a way to do it with an airbrush and a polishing cloth.

However, in this day and age, you can simply take the composite parts to have them "flame sprayed" with real aluminum, and you're done with very little effort. You can polish it out with Mother's or Meguiar's, and it would be indistinguishable from any "genuine" Hill Streamliners hammer-formed fairing made for Roscoe Turner in 1937.

DSCN0770.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk81A

I think Sterling's story is every bit as worthy as Rasmussen's. Rasmussen is memorialized by the P-36 in the Air Force Museum at Dayton (so glad they did this over the camouflage it originally had). Sterling tossed his watch to the crew chief as he jumped in and said "Give this to my mother, I'm not coming back". That's heroism (so was Rasmussen's). Dennis

nickbayer1

Hope it's not a huge secret but I spy another iteration of the Litefighter... Did I miss that somewhere or is it too soon? Also loved the sounds and looks at the P-36. Personally haven't been this excited about a replica since the WAR days in the 80s and these look so much better IMHO!
View attachment 126018
That's the mock up of the F6F Hellcat Scott and Sam did awhile back