• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lite Ply for spar shear webs or ribs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgol

Please don't kick me too hard for asking this...
What are the possible dangers of using lite ply (poplar plywood) for spar/rib shear webs? Assuming that it is strong enough for my design, and I can confirm that the strength is adequate by some rudimentary testing, why not use it for shear webs of spars or ribs?
The reason for asking is 1) for the same weight lite ply will be a lot thicker (I am guessing 1.5-2 times?) than birch plywood, but probably only a little thicker than mahogany plywood? 2) the price is 3-4 times lower than the "real" stuff (see http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/liteply.php ); 3) it is very easy to work with. The thickness will help to resist buckling in the shear webs. Instead of 1-1.6mm birch plywood I can use 3mm lite plywood and not worry about the shear web getting "wavy" at extreme loads.
If I use proper protection measures (epoxy varnish) will lite plywood have similar longevity as birch or mahogany plywood? This is my major concern. I suppose lite ply does not conform to any standards and is not designed to withstand humidity and temperature variations.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Oleg.

Back