• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Liquid cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal

I have had an idea for a while. While radiators have been around for quite some time and work they do create a lot of drag. I've seen people making certain contraptions to block air after takeoff to restrict the amount of air and reduce drag. The idea i have is making a copper radiator that doesn't have any fins. It dissipates heat SOOO much better.

The whole science of cooling with a radiator is not to shove as much air as possible but to let enough air through at the correct speed so the air can absorb as much heat as possible before becoming heat soaked. If it goes over to fast it will only pick a little and then you over heat.

Copper is expensive compared to aluminum and that mostly why they use that. Not sure if there would be weight savings. The copper one could be smaller but its a bit more dense. I'd have to run some tests.

What I'm proposing is have a NACA for inlet and an exit hole with a lip that can closed and the lip pushed flush when in flight reducing drag even father.

The air could be slowed down and not have to use heat sinks on the copper since it give up the heat so easily. Pretty much have a tunnel lined with the tubes and the air passes by. Whats everyone think?

Back