Lincoln SQ TIG 175 Pro or Precision TIG 185?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Mike Armstrong, Mar 16, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

For the amatuer homebuilder/hobbyist/handyman that will mainly be using it for TIG welding a 4130 steel tube fuse, given a choice, is it worth the extra expense to have the features of a PT 185 or is the SQ 175 'just ok' enough? Thanks

Mike

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Mar 17, 2008 #2

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

The Precision TIG is the newer technology (and its my choice). If you are welding thin wall tubing, you shouldn't need many amps. Look for the model that has the lowest amp range.
    Jan

3. Mar 17, 2008 #3

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Thanks Jan.

I'm currently taking welding classes so I'm not savvy yet as to which to buy but I want to know should I come across one for sale in the mean time. The price difference is about $500 used but I also dont want to sell myself short (or pass up a good deal).

Is it the extra/newer features of the 185 that you prefer?

4. Mar 18, 2008 #4

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

Well, I checked my new catalog and the Squareware TIG and Precision TIG 185 models are discontinued. The Precision TIG225 (about $2345) is propably what you want (5-230 amps). There is a smaller box thats great too, Invertec V160T (5-160amps). Getting down to 5 amps is pretty amazing.
    Jan

5. Mar 18, 2008 #5

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Thanks Jan.

I've been keeping an eye out on E-bay and Craigs-list for used 175/185's. Every once in awhile there's a good buy. The only problem is usually the heavy TIG machine is at least a thousand miles away from where I'm at making shipping cost prohibitive. But I'm gonna keep looking.

Mike

6. Sep 12, 2008 #6
    When they have the SEMA auto shows, they usually have some show specials available........Also the EAA welding courses usually offer a discount for people who attend a course.

7. Sep 20, 2008 #7

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Thanks Escimneirbo. Luckily following Craigs List for awhile led me to an almost new Lincoln TIG 185 for a very good price.

Mike

8. Sep 21, 2008 #8
    You'll like the 185, it has a lot of features for the price. I always liked Miller, but when I compared what you got on the 185 to what Miller was offering,I couldn't pass the 185 up. The pulsing feature alone was about a $500 option on the Miller and standard on the Lincoln. They have a booklet that really explains a lot about getting started Tig welding. If you didn't get one with your machine, I'd get a copy of it.

9. Sep 21, 2008 #9

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

I bought that Lincoln TIG welding booklet after attending a few TIG welding workshops at Osh AirVenture this year. The booklet was highly recommended by the instructors and several of the guys there attending the class. I can second that it's a very useful source of TIG welding information whether your 'Red' (Lincoln) or 'Blue' (Miller);)

It's amazing to see TIG welding being done for the first time and even more amazing to actually do it for the first time. Compare to Gas it's incredibly easy to make a beautiful looking weld. So easy in fact that it can easily fool you into thinking your making an 'airworthy' weld when indeed your not. Anyhow, it was impressive and I saw for myself several guys go from the workshop straight to the Lincoln Electric tent to buy brand new TIG machines.