Limbach vs Sauer 1700cc weight difference

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

berridos

Anybody knows how is it possible that the limbach 1700 with aluminium cilinders weights (lightest version) has a dry weight of 69kg and the sauer 1700 only weights 63kg? Would be great to understand the source of the weight difference. Thx

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Anybody knows how is it possible that the limbach 1700 with aluminium cilinders weights (lightest version) has a dry weight of 69kg and the sauer 1700 only weights 63kg? Would be great to understand the source of the weight difference. Thx
Could you provide links to your sources for those weights? The usual reason for differences like these is differences in what is included in the weight by each manufacturer (carrburetor? Starter? Alternator?)

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Looking at those specification pages, it isn't easy for me to tell what each mfgr has included in the weight. The Limbach photo shows an oil cooler (which you'll need), I don't see one on the Sauer. For similarly equipped VW type 1 engines, the main way to save weight is with Nikasil cylinders. These are expensive and have not always been trouble free.
There is only 3kg dif between the sauer 1700 and the 2100
Is it allowed to place the oil recipient behind the firewall?
For VW Type 1 engine derivatives, there is normally very little weight difference between various sizes. They all use 5he same case, the cylinders and other bits weigh about the same.
"Oil recipient"? These engines have a wet sump and the oil will be collected at the bottom of the engine case.

Theodore959

sry to get off topic but...

"Is it allowed to place the oil recipient behind the firewall?"
i thought to use the oil cooler as a heater for the cabin during winter flying, have two locations for it, summer and winter, yes more ducting.

TFF

Usually no. If it developed a leak, hot oil would be all over, if not the added fire possibility or fumes if it did leak.