Liker of Aeroplanes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Wagy59

This forum thing is new to me, but I'm liking this, except I hate the thing where you have to come up with a title for this...why do I need a title?...I don't get that..I'm not writing a book or an article...so whats up with the title thing?
Ok, never mind. I'm just being grumpy again..everyone tells me I'm grumpy..and I'm not even 60 yet
You know that Clint Eastwood movie Grand Torino?..everyone says that's me...
I tell them...Nooo...that's Clint Eastwood in a movie..Then they say "stop being grumpy and sarcastic..it's you and you even look a lot like him, so shut up"
OK..I'm not going to argue about it, then.
Here's this neat all wood Twin I'm working on..This is all AutoCad 3d modeling
It's a work in progress, so any and all that want to comment, talk about, tell me its crap, or anything else are welcome.
https://picasaweb.google.com/110832891150645105776/3DAutocadModelTwinEngineHomebuiltConcept?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Yes, the FAA has still not banned me from crawling in airplanes and flyin them aroundView attachment 14755

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
Welcome to the forum! Greetings from across the Internet and just across town! I like the aggressive look of your twin. They say we choose pets that look like ourselves in some fashion...is it the same way with airplanes?

Wagy59

I would tend towards yes, but if you saw all my cats and my crazy dog and thought there was a resemblance. then I'd have to re-evaluate my whole existence.. but much as I hate to admit it, I love them all

Wagy59

But I get your meaning!...yes..the look of the airplane does reflect in some measure the type of person I am. I've always dreamed of building an airplane that was, well, ultra cool and capable. A mans airplane..a pilots airplane, something you could do aileron rolls in all day long, but yet, get into small airfields, or just get to Colorado very quickly with fishing poles and luggage.. but still, something that wouldn't end up killing me because it was just to demanding and/or unforgiving to fly....hence the very large wing...LOL

Wagy59

Engines shall be aluminum Chevy V-8s..either Corvette LS series which are already being used in aircraft or just an Aluminum Chevy racing block based EFI long stroke engine (around 400 CI & around 350-400 ftlbs torque @ 3000rpm Would prefer to do it direct drive but probably would end up with one of the gear reduction units everyone seems to think is needed

Autodidact

I really like your design. With the type of gear it has, it reminds me a little of the OV-10 Bronco. To me, a very powerful twin, such as you have drawn, is a truly snazzy thing.

skier

looks like a nice concept. How about giving us some more details.

Number of seats?
Cruise Speed?
Wing Area?
Aspect Ratio?
Stall Speed?
etc.

autoreply

This forum thing is new to me, but I'm liking this, except I hate the thing where you have to come up with a title for this...why do I need a title?...I don't get that..I'm not writing a book or an article...so whats up with the title thing?
Organization.

With a good title we have a decent idea of what the topic is about, so we can decide to either run to or run from the particular topic ;)

A great way to get a lot of folks in who're interested and knowledgeable about the particular topic and leave out those who're not interested.

And, of course, welcome. How I think about your renderings is made clear in earlier comments.

Wagy59

I definitely am influenced by the OV-10......50 plus years of loving and studying airplanes of all types have played a part in how this particular idea turned into a drawing. To be honest, when I started the drawing a couple months back it was just an exercise to entertain myself. Now it's beginning to evolve into something I want to at least finish designing, and now that I've joined this forum and have had so much positive feed back, I am actually starting to entertain the idea of seriously considering building it and to hell with worrying about why I cant or shouldn't,,,You only live once and I'm running out of time..LOL
I fully expected someone to tell me I'm crazy and stop it..Of course I'm stubborn and that would of encouraged me..LOL

orion

Your introductory title is just fine. I may split off a number of posts in the CAD thread to start a new thread that addresses just your design (since it gets away from that particular thread's purpose) but I haven't gotten around to that yet. In that thread I also posted a number of quick comments regarding your design you may wish to look over and maybe comment on yourself. Part of the purpose of this discussion board is the presentation of the learning curve and the actual design process for those looking to follow this path themselves. Several of us here provide technical guidance to those looking to design their own. We cannot design the planes for you nor due to the amount of work (and the fact that we of course have work of our own) do too much analysis, but we do try to provide constructive criticism and provide direction when we can.

In other words, welcome to our nuthouse.

orion

Just FYI, I moved a number of posts that relate to your twin that were within the "Cad lesson" thread to a new thread under the aerodynamics section titled New Twin Homebuilt Concept. That way we can keep the discussions more on subject.

And to clarify your posting, specifically to whom you're answering, you can click on the "Reply With Quote" button at the bottom of each post box and it will provide the referenced post in your answer, so the discussions can be on kept track. And if you make an error or want to add or delete parts of your post just click the Edit Post button. You will be able to edit your post only, but that will keep small corrections or afterthoughts within the original post and thus reduce the page clutter.