Quantcast

Lighweight opposite 2-stroke engines

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jbiplane

Such beautiful work .....I hope you have lots of business.
Thanks :) At moment I more designer than producer. The most engines I designed now produced in other companies in Russia, China and Canada. This year I will organyze new company "FlamePower llc" which will work with individuals and private. It will produce non sertified experimental engines. Have a lot of ideas to implement!

Bille Floyd

@ jbiplane

That 2B350 , (350cc) @ 28hp ; looks to be about Perfect for
the modification i want to do with my old Exxtacy glider !!!!!
I need the hp, to get off the ground at 1677.314-meters ASL.

I need (1) year to complete my project ; how long before
your 350cc, with reduction , EFI, and e-start is finished ?

jbiplane

hat 2B350 , (350cc) @ 28hp
Hi Bille

Normally we dont have stock, make each engine in 2...3 months preorder with 30% prepayment. All options like reduction, EFI, electrical start are tested and possible. At moment only one order for max featured engine was finished for UAV drone named Grif-2 which produced in Belorussia.

Now we change cylinders to Gilerra Runner 180cc air and lc to simplify customer life. One such cylinder have 28hp power, but we cut of power of complete engine to 40hp. Customer can use as well 125cc cylinders to have 30hp engine. One engine can survive for 4-6 cylinder changes each 250...750 hours.
www.flame-power.com

Rconc

Jbiplan, for acceptance of two strokes EFI is the answer. What would it take to develop and produce a single cylinder 2 stroke with efi direct injection and an counterbalancing shaft of 65hp at max 5500rpm ?
Curious myself, would like to replace a Rotax 582. An opposed twin like the 50 hp Hirth but with more power! Or an inline twin, air-cooled.

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
"I think" it is that around 65hp more or less is about were the real controversy of whether 4 stroke is better than 2 stroke or visa versa really starts heating up. Below that and 2 strokes mostly while above that 4 strokes mostly. Maybe because of the A-65 Continental historically and the VW conversions more recently?

erkki67

Blane.c , where weight is an issue for a required hp, the two stroke wins most of the time. Fuel consumption ist today with those direct efi not an issue anymore, two versus 4 strokes are equal.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
It is largely a discussion of two things I think, torque (usually expressed in cubic inches or cubic centimetres) and sound. The 2 stroke is generally smaller displacement and hp is made with less torque but multiplied by a higher rpm and of course the Soprano accompaniment vs. the 4 stroke larger displacement, lower rpm and the Bass. Oops the third thing! Weight! I guess if you want it light you have to wear earplugs.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Seriously, torque can't be understated and there is a long held belief in the USA that there is no substitution for cubic inches.

mm4440

Two things that show the limited thinking of that statement are supercharging and prop reduction gearing which have been used on aviation engines for about one hundred years.

A ~500cc flat twin would make more sense than a big single with a balance shaft. A two stroke single with balance shaft and that reasonable rpm would be larger than a twin that could turn faster and thus be smaller and lighter than a single. With a little effort with placing things like exhaust and carb systems, it would have a smaller frontal area than the single. A single would need to be liquid cooled, the twin might get away with air cooling. RPMs do not weigh anything, displacement does. There are also diminishing returns when a two stroke cylinder gets bigger.
jbiplane's approach makes sense and is practical.

proppastie

Log Member
what needs to happen is one of you guys should order an engine.......given what OP as shown us I would bet he could build it.........without that ....you are just wasting his time.