Fuel: Diesel
Cooling System: Closed Loop – Water / Glycol Mix
Oil System: Dry Sump
Electrical Supply: 12 Volt
Dimensions: Width: 612 mm / Height: 425 mm / Length: 575 mm

130505105440497934.jpg
(beware ,it's BWM , not BMW!)
BWM Ribs - BWM M-100 Diesel Marine Engine

4800 rpm is too much for direct drive but maybe limited/derated to 3200 would be enough to produce around 70hp and avoid conception and use of gearbox ?

PTAirco

Why, oh why, can' they make these promising engines just a tad bigger!? We could really use this one. Kind of appeared out of nowhere and I the kind of perosn who is partial to opposed piston Diesels. I would like to see more details on this, like how it is is scavenged.

altifly

right , not BMW it took me time also to realise :grin:
This is a marine engine , thus designed for continuous load. And reability should be in the requirements
75 kg without cooling (add 6-7?) but manufacturer wrote me that it should be possible to use lighter components (generator?) for aero use. He first imagined that I intended to put on a boat , which he doesn't allow (company is producing this engine for use on his own boats) , but I felt an opening and interest for my suggestion

Is the big pulley used for turbo ? if not, could be removed and we may find attach points for a gearbox?
I'm waiting for more info , also think this is a really promising engine with very little to do for conversion
Lss than 1kg/hp in diesel is great

Last edited:

autoreply

That's quite a bit lighter as any other diesel and as such I have to ask. Is it real? Where do the parts come from and what's included in the weight? Sounds perfect for a hybrid drive-train, replace flywheel with generator and a bigger turbo to keep it flat-rated to high in the flight levels.

batesjoe

I suspect this engine is a two stroke. The scavenging is by forced induction from the supercharger. While 75kg is light by conventional standards, it is still too heavy for the power generated. Unfortunately, this engine, along with the EcoMotor and Pattakom are mechanically complex with high parts count. Over time, the novelty of this approach will falter when a more reasonable concept is introduced. It will take time, but I envision there will be an engine that is multi-fuel (including diesel) in the area of 1.5 liters displacement weighing less than 75 kg with a power output greater than 150Kw. Such an engine would be a profound shift in the generation of power, not just in aviation but elsewhere. Fortunately, such an engine can be prototyped relatively cheaply, so maybe it is not more than a couple years away.

tilopa

I would be excited if it actually was a BMW, the weight is good for a diesel. And since Ecomotors development appears to be moving at a snails pace I'll save my excitment for when such a motor is actually on the market.

Jan Carlsson

a different angle showing the lines to the injectors and what may be exhaust manifold. looks like crankcase induction.
My guess? is that it is a opposit piston 2 stroke (diesel) with 2 crankshaft, just like the DAR-100 and Gemini, and why not Junkers

Himat

My guess? is that it is a opposit piston 2 stroke (diesel) with 2 crankshaft, just like the DAR-100 and Gemini, and why not Junkers

Then it might be the DAR-100 or a developement of that engine. Once I searched the internet for information on the DAR-100 I ended at BWM and the page with this engine. As far as I remember, the manufacturing company was the same for both this, the DAR-100 and the Wilksch engine.

altifly

it looks very different in conception from 3 cylinders wilksch WAM120
twin crank isn't a bad idea (for balance and longevity) I'm surprised that it's possible to reach a so low weight with doubling this heavy component
So far no more answer from dealer
ps : can't find DAR-100 info

Himat

it looks very different in conception from 3 cylinders wilksch WAM120
twin crank isn't a bad idea (for balance and longevity) I'm surprised that it's possible to reach a so low weight with doubling this heavy component
So far no more answer from dealer
ps : can't find DAR-100 info
Check this thread:
http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/firewall-forward-props-fuel-system/14785-promising-new-diesel.html

But it look like the more informative old Weslake page is gone and replaced with a link to the new one.

Note that the Cox Powertrain diesel is just double the size and number of cylinders of the DAR-100...

Last edited: