• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

lighter is better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeter_ca

:confused: Lighter is better when it comes to planes as i have always heard. I plan on building a VJ-22 amphib. In the plans i can see a few places to lighten up but the largest area seem to be the steel parts. no aluminum is used in this 1960's design, all steel, mostly 4130. I'm wondering if most of the parts could be switch to aluminum (either 2024 or 6061). aluminum is 1/3 the weight but is it 1/3 the strength. Would doubling the thickness be a good enough safety margin. I'm not talking about the main structure items like spar fittings, struts. I would want to stick to the plans for these. I would like to make the change on the control sticks and related parts and landing gear components. What do you think would be a good safety margin without having to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks Skeeter.

Back