Light weight diesel auto conversion

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Puggo1

Try researching the Subaru EE20. Early versions apparently had crank breakage issues; supposedly fixed. Haven't heard much about them lately, though. Never sold in USA, but I think there is an importer.

Charlie
Hi Charlie,
the weight totals 162kgs for a dressed engine as shown. There's a few in Europe and a team decided to convert it to an aircraft engine. However, this has gone quiet. Usually car companies don't like their engines flying.
cheers
Puggo1
1659014065085.png

Jazz30-06

Pretty sure if never homologated in the US, importation would be a problem if you tried importing them.
Importing engines is actually real easy in the US. The JDM guys ship in container loads of engines on a regular basis. Cars, by comparison, are very hard to bring in because they don't meet the safety specs that the US has.

dog

the search term to use when looking for a "complete" drive train with all the wiring and computers is ,"half cut", as in they cut the car
or truck off just behind the dash,and get many
in a shipping can
boy racers delight,though truth be told there are
a good number of girl racers
anyhow they will cut you up as many diesels as you want,everything under the hood,plus the hood

shanecgray

Guys I am in need of some guidance
I have one of the ecofly mercedes engines used in the hunter drone
I do not have all the ecu and wiring I know there are after market companies that sell kits to enable a custom conversion
there was a snowmobile that was converted any help i would appreciate greatly Shane

KeithO

Guys I am in need of some guidance
I have one of the ecofly mercedes engines used in the hunter drone
I do not have all the ecu and wiring I know there are after market companies that sell kits to enable a custom conversion
there was a snowmobile that was converted any help i would appreciate greatly Shane
I suggest you try to get in contact with Otto Funk who originally developed the engine. Look here ecofly.de/macher2.htm
You may need to track him down in Germany. He is a former Mercedes engineer and has all the contacts.

Reactions: PMD

PMD

awent to their website. Manual printed in 2005 with missing information from long term testing. Are they still in business?

KeithO

The business was sold to 2 different parties who apparently stopped production. But the point is that the man who started it all can probably rustle up a controller for a single engine or a small batch. Assuming he is still breathing...

lear999wa