• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lifting body discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

I'm sitting at home with a nasty cold, so have been catching up on a pile of stuff I've printed out over the last year or so, meaning to study again one day. I have just re-read Barnaby Wainfan's papers on the Facetmobile, and as usual it's sparked my curiosity as to just why this design (or any other similar lifting body) hasn't been taken up.

From the performance data it would seem to be quite a good solution to a narrow/single design point aircraft, not dissimilar in many ways to the plank type flying wing I've been working on for a while now.

Try as I might I'm finding it hard to see just where the downside is to such a design. For an ultralight (under the new UK rules) it's got a lot going for it; light weight, structural design efficiency, good performance on modest power, loads of wing area for it's span, safe handling and relatively simple construction.

What the heck am I missing here? There must be some really big downside that I haven't spotted, or else our skies would be littered with them. Maybe it's just conservatism that's stopped people following in his footsteps.

I'd welcome any views you guys may have, as it might prove to be an interesting and educational debate.

Jeremy

Back