• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lift strut question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB

Supporting Member
lift struts (parallel, not V ) on my ultralight are 1.250x o58 6061t6 struts are 7' long with jury struts approx midway. Gross weight is 600#

Due to upcoming improvements I need to eliminate the jury struts,, I wish to sleeve the inside of the strut with 1.125 x? (either alum or 4130)held in place with Gear type loctight (green)
The strut will eventually have an aluminum or glass fairing. Attachments are pinned. not fixed or welded
Can one of you engineering types point me in the right direction for formula to solve this. How long the sleeve. Where inside the strut, how tapered, assume high school calculus 60 yrs ago. THANKS John B

OR could I go up a size or thicker wall and eliminate the whole process. prefer to sleeve due to weight

Back