• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lift Enhancement with Electric Motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jambo

One of the big areas I feel GA has to benefit from battery tech is to allow blown flaps/wings allowing either higher wing loadings or low stall speeds.

Two I know are being constructed:

1. Props in front of the wing blowing over flaps (NASA X-57 Maxwell)
2. Ducted fans integrated in the leading edge blowing through vents on top of the wing (IDEAL http://cafe.foundation/blog/david-ullman-flying-on-multiple-tiny-motors/)

Those two are likely to be built. But other ways are possible. On Page 8
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20140011913.pdf
Shows propellers mounted above and behind the wing, and directly behind the wing, as well as the propellers in front of the wing

And some questions for this thread.
1. What other concepts are out there?
2. What has already been done, and what was the result?
Which concept allows for maximum performance, either for STOL operations or higher wing loadings for better cruise performance?
4. Is there any good papers on stability of these concepts i.e. pitching moments?
5. And the big picture question. Is it worth it?

Back