• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Liability insurance for a self designed bird?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahlgrenator

Hello Everyone,

Been lurking for months and finally decided to join and post. I've been really impressed by what I've seen of the knowledgebase here, it's been an amazing resource already!

If this has been discussed before, please redirect me because I failed to find it. So far insurance questions don't seem directed towards the liability side of things but mostly about coverage related to aircraft damage itself.

I'm in the early stages of planning for my admittedly lofty, and LONG term goal of designing and building my own airplane that is heavily influenced by established airplanes. Currently don't have my PPL but do have a little flying experience from years ago. Depending on this insurance question, and a few others, I'll soon start working towards that PPL. I know this dream might seem overly ambitious, but really don't want to dwell on convincing me this is crazy :) If there is anyone that feels strongly that this is a guaranteed disaster, I'd be happy to discuss it via PM.
Construction won't start without getting lots of eyes to look it over first.
No passengers until lots of testing has been completed (probably beyond what's required by the FAA)!

Design/engineering is my lifelong passion, my interest in woodworking, welding, machining, etc. is only a means to support the design/engineering side of things. This is why I don't simply go for a kit or plans. I know I'd loose interest and end up selling it on barnstormers.

At this point I'm mostly drawn to something similar to the bearhawk 5 with the ability to carry 6, though it would most typically carry 2 with generous room for gear. The biggest divergences from the original plans would be making the wings fold and using an auto engine conversion.

Is it even conceivable to get liability coverage on something like this?

Are there any specific companies I should reach out to?

What are the biggest reasons to get (or not to get) liability insurance?
from my reading it seems like many PPLs don't even bother... but obviously that doesn't make it a good idea.

Also, I've started reading Pazmany's book on airplane design, are there any other suggestions for good reading material?
If anyone is interested in a discussion about the general design goals and such, I'd certainly welcome it, though not sure the best place to have that discussion :)

Thanks!
Austin

Back