Levil EFIS

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by DLrocket89, Jan 15, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

Does anyone have experience with Levil?

LEVIL EFIS 1831 from Aircraft Spruce

I think you need to buy software to go with it, but seems like it'd be pretty sweet as the backbone to a VFR setup. With the right bit of software/code you could prolly make it a good IFR setup too.

Thoughts anyone?

EDIT: I should add that Levil's website is very limited in scope, not encouraging...

2. Jan 15, 2010 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It just so happens that one of our newest members (anandaleaon) works for Levil. I'm sure they will probably chime in here shortly.

3. Jan 15, 2010 #3

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

The fact that it works as a regular PC is great - try that with your tens-of-thousands-of-dollar-Garmin.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #4

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

It runs Windows, which is a) cool and b) scary. If I go this route, will have backup instruments for sure...blue screen of death while in final? No thanks.

5. Jan 15, 2010 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh please, that's so Windows 95.

6. Jan 15, 2010 #6

anandaleon

anandaleon

anandaleon

Hey guys,

like bmcj said, i'm a new member and I happen to work for Levil. As a matter of fact, I am the Software Designer. So shoot all the questions you have, I'll be happy to answer them. Also if you have any advise, recommendations That'll be great.

The EFIS comes with everything you need (Including Navigation Software). It comes with APIC Glass (from approach systems). It also comes with a another Primary Flight and Engine monitoring software (designed by us) in case you want to use another moving map software.

The AHRS is not new. We have a contract with one of the big companies (can't say which) and they sell them for certified planes. We decided to sell the AHRS to the public but we needed a screen and software. So we came up with the touch-screen EFIS, and decided to make it PC-based because of all the advantages and flexibility of a computer.

We will be at the Sebring show next week and also Sun'n Fun. You guys can check the EFIS there if you are going. If not al least try to come say hi in Oshkosh.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Ananda Leon.

7. Jan 15, 2010 #7

anandaleon

anandaleon

anandaleon

I forgot to mention.... About the webpage... i know its horrible... I take full responsibility....(i've been putting it aside)
    I'm working on it though... we should have a complete, professional website after the show. with all the tech specs, videos, demos etc...

8. Jan 15, 2010 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

At least it's not VISTA with its endless popup warnings (User Account Protection, or UAP)!

Using a Vista based system for navigating:

popup: Windows needs your permission to enter waypoint (ALLOW/CANCEL)

input: ALLOW

popup: Are you sure? (YES/NO)

input: YES

popup: Windows needs you to verify that the YES answer to the previous query was input by you (VERIFY/DENY)

input: VERIFY

popup: Are you sure? (YES/NO)

input: YES

popup: Really? (REALLY/NOT)

input: REALLY

popup: OVERRIDDEN BY VISTA SECURITY - ACCESS DENIED

Still, I guess it's better than a working on a half-eaten piece of fruit! apple_logo_rainbow_6_color 10.jpg

Bruce :roll:

9. Jan 15, 2010 #9

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

It's ideal. Simply run a virtual machine and if it crashes; you load the old one... if it crashes. My computer has been running continously (with reboots) for the last 3 years, all kind of software. Only once a complete freeze

10. Jan 15, 2010 #10

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Ah, the continuing bashing of PCs - will it ever end? A lot of my friends run MACs and continually tell me how unreliable Windows is. (Usually the latest version is always claimed to also be the most unreliable.) And even PC users look aghast when I tell them I have a 5 year old, bargain basement PC, an "e-machines" no less! Bottom of the barrel! It has been running continuously ever since I bought it. I almost never turn it off. It has never crashed or had one serious problem. It is in constant use and its reliability is better than any of the local FBOs Cessnas any day. Would I use something Windows based as a primary instrument in an airplane? No, but then I won't drive a car with any kind of electronics or anything more complicated than a magnetic pick up either. But for the sheer convenience of having all that extra help AND a rel computer in the airplane, I'd certainly consider it.

But I'd never fly without a steam-ASI, altimeter, compass and chart.

11. Jan 15, 2010 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I agree, my Windows PC's have always run very well and consistently. I've welcomed each new version openmindedly but finally found myself at odds with Vista because of the amount of overhead and disk space it requires and the "protection" it builds in by removing or hiding much of the administrative privileges that used to be granted by default. Its interface has moved in the direction of the MAC which affords almost no access to the operating system.

As for reliability of Windows, most problems (and "clunkiness") I have seen has been the result of loading too many poorly written third party software packages that bury the system in overhead, conflicts, and unrecoverable errors because they try to be "too fancy". Therefore, the problems I've seen have not been with the Windows operating system so much as with the "junk" that people inflict on it.

So, to tie it in with the thread's original subject, I would have no qualms about using a Windows based EFIS system, especially considering some of the other applications that could be overlayed or integrated into it.

Bruce :)

12. Jan 17, 2010 #12

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

Ananda,

What I'm looking for is an extreme amount of flexibility. Two ways:

1) ability to interface with other pieces of avionics (in my case, something like the Garmin SL30/430W/530W). Ability to interface with something lik that and show HSI/CDI would be great.

2) ability to have external "interface boards" - boards where you can plug in more sensors or have external controls. Without getting into a ton of details, my plane will have a very complex/completely redundant electrical system that will require a lot of relays to send power where it needs to go. I was going to control this with a ton of switches (that control relays) on the panel, but if you can rig a way to interface that with the computer, that would seal the deal for me buying your system right then and there (barring anything glaringly deficient in the system itself).

13. Jan 18, 2010 #13

anandaleon

anandaleon

anandaleon

DLrocket89,

1. The computer has 3 serial ports (1 for AHRS, 1 for Engine POD). This means you can interface the Garmin RS-232 output to the extra port. You can either create your own software to show HSI/CDI, or we could add it to the current software. (I can quote you on that if you wish).

2. The ability to have "external interface boards" already exists. The computer comes with a PC-104 interface. You can plug any commercially available boards.

How good of a programmer are you?
    If you can do C and/or Delphi, we have exactly what you are looking for. The boards that control our Desktop CNC Machines (Levil Technology - Tabletop CNC Milling Machines) have 8 relays, 12 TTL inputs and servo interface (for autopilot). You can basically use it for whatever you want but you need to create the software for your specific application. It connects via USB to the computer.

14. Jan 18, 2010 #14

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

Oooooo, good.

My programming skill consists of nothing (for the moment, I might have to learn how to do some code so I can make stuff more "custom"). Don't worry about a quote, I'm a couple of years away from even bending any aluminum right now...my need for anything cockpit-oriented is at least 5 years out. Just trying to see what's out there.

Sounds like a great system!

15. Jan 18, 2010 #15

anandaleon

anandaleon

anandaleon

sounds like an interesting project... by that time we would definitely have the HSI/CDI. We are working on having one on our AHRS system so you can have a complete package.

Well good luck with the project... what type of airplane are you planing to build?

16. Jan 18, 2010 #16

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

DLrocket89

4-seat Bearhawk. I intend on making it a full-up IFR bird, hence wanting it to be flexible and capable.

One of the requirements that my wife has for it is that I make it as safe as possible. Hence redundancy up the wazoo, etc.