• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Let's twist again....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

Ok
:D
709more_wing_work-med.jpg

For a project I originally thought wouldn't be much more than just building a bigger R/C model, (a little arrogant of me, maybe, but I'll admit that) this has turned out to be a thouroghly enlightening, informative and exciting experience!
I have once again been playing with wings. This time with AoA and washout. (This can become quite an obsession! :gig:)
Starting from the body strakes, which have an AoA of 1Deg, the mid wing (which is really more part of the body) twists up to an AoA of 2deg. where the root chord of the main wing joins.
From there the wing twists to give -2deg of washout (0deg AoA) at the tip with a dihedral of 3.5deg. Don't let the apparent small size of that tip fool you, it's got a 500mm (19.64") chord and is 61mm (2.4") at its thickest.
The end result is a slightly smaller aspect ratio with a shorter (by about 850mm) span and excellent low speed characteristics.
The Stabilator pivots on the center of the root chord, and has a AoA of -2 deg.
Which brings me to a question about working out these forces.
Now I have been working out the individual characteristics of each wing section, then combining the individual effects to calculate the total of forces on the complete wing. Is this a correct approach?
It's certainly a far cry from the level of technical input I ever used making models I tell you! :D Then again I wasn't staking my life in the level of engineering I put into them either... :gig:

709wing_mods_rear-med.jpg

I ordered the book by Dan Raymer, I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival and I am sure I will find some of these answers within it's pages. Maybe I'm just being impatient, but I just can't resist the urge to experiment in the mean time! LOL.

Last edited:
Back