• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spark Ignition Mixture Effects - Split from Diesel Discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgfallwell1

The closer the turbocharger is to the exhaust valve the greater the power recovery at low RPM. So a modern engine with an internal manifold can produce much higher pressures than an aircraft engine with long pipes. Many years ago I worked on a concept to study early Auto ignition. If Auto ignition occurs early after firing a small gas dynamic vibration occurs that doesn't damage the engine but can increase overall thermal efficiency. It seemed to me that this may be happening in large cylinders that aircraft engine have.
It seems to me that a good way to test this on a bench would be to introduce a small amount of hydrogen to the running engine and measure the change in flame front velocity. This might increase the output and efficiency of the engine while allowing the use of unleaded fuel.

Back