Lets talk about diesels.

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Terrh, Oct 17, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 20, 2019 #81

PMD

PMD

PMD

If you had a good one, it was a not-bad engine at all. Once the GM head bolts were replaced with a set of studs, it was then a pretty decent engine. I only had one, never had any grief from it but didn't have it more than a year. Mine was in a C10, and everyone said they were so gutless...so I did a little matchup with my buddy's Wagoneer 360 CID gasser - and the "gutless" C10 walked away - not ran, but DID walk. I have a 6.5 K15 now as a chore truck, but compared with my wife's Q7, it really is gutless by today's standards. BUT: the real advantage is that I can throw just about any hydrocarbon into the fuel tank and it will run just fine.

akwrencher likes this.
  2. Nov 20, 2019 #82

TFF

TFF

TFF

They were pretty bad engines as engines go. My experience was all friends cars. ‘80 Cutlass, replaced with gas engine, a Olds wagon, last seen with original engine, and two Caddies 79 and 80, each had two engines under warranty before being converted to gas. I did help one of the Caddies throw a rod in a small part. These were all only about five year old cars at the time. I do know someone with another wagon but I never have seen it. Right now it has a broken head bolt. Probably one of the last around. He has a 6.5 truck too.
    Gas wise, a friends mom had a gas olds wagon with a 403 and she had it regeared to pull a trailer. Magic sleeper with wood sides. Even she would race a Trans Am for a giggle.

3. Nov 20, 2019 #83

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

I had a C10 and a Cutlass with the diesels. The C10 would not pull itself and the airstream out of Monterey so it was traded in on a 3/4T Suburban. Bought the cutlass used as it was mint but had the diesel for $500.00. Gave it away a week later as it was a dog.