Lets talk about diesels.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PMD

You’ve gotta admit it was a real POS.
If you had a good one, it was a not-bad engine at all. Once the GM head bolts were replaced with a set of studs, it was then a pretty decent engine. I only had one, never had any grief from it but didn't have it more than a year. Mine was in a C10, and everyone said they were so gutless...so I did a little matchup with my buddy's Wagoneer 360 CID gasser - and the "gutless" C10 walked away - not ran, but DID walk. I have a 6.5 K15 now as a chore truck, but compared with my wife's Q7, it really is gutless by today's standards. BUT: the real advantage is that I can throw just about any hydrocarbon into the fuel tank and it will run just fine.

TFF

They were pretty bad engines as engines go. My experience was all friends cars. ‘80 Cutlass, replaced with gas engine, a Olds wagon, last seen with original engine, and two Caddies 79 and 80, each had two engines under warranty before being converted to gas. I did help one of the Caddies throw a rod in a small part. These were all only about five year old cars at the time. I do know someone with another wagon but I never have seen it. Right now it has a broken head bolt. Probably one of the last around. He has a 6.5 truck too.
Gas wise, a friends mom had a gas olds wagon with a 403 and she had it regeared to pull a trailer. Magic sleeper with wood sides. Even she would race a Trans Am for a giggle.

Rik-

I had a C10 and a Cutlass with the diesels. The C10 would not pull itself and the airstream out of Monterey so it was traded in on a 3/4T Suburban. Bought the cutlass used as it was mint but had the diesel for $500.00. Gave it away a week later as it was a dog.