• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Let's design together!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martenare

Given how many talented and knowledgeable people there are here at this forum I thought it would be a good idea to combine our forces.
I therefore think it would be a fun little exercise to try to design an aircraft together –online.:ban:

I have used my own ”dream homebuilt”to specify the design goals and I think these should make it fairly challenging.

Design goals:

Aerobatic monoplane – compete up to intermediate
Suitable for a pilot with little aerobatic experience

Single seat
Accommodate a 6'4” 220lbs pilot(including parachute)
Sheet metal simple construction – poprivets
Length max 18'
Span max 18'
Limit loads +9g/-6g
Good spin recovery
Engine 80-120hp

So, who would like to join me in thislittle fun exercise?

I am going to start straight away myself, and design a concept (mainly using Raymer's books as a starting point) and if you think this sounds like fun – do the same!

Once we have come up with a few different concepts together we'll discuss, critique and try to combine them. We then see where we can take it from there.

So all you clever people out there – start designing!!

Looking forward to seeing your design concepts!:)

Cheers
Marten

Last edited:
Back