• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Less than $1K TIG welder recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinnFlyer

Trying to weld up a boiler tank of 1/8" steel using the cheapest HF stick welder. Only has a Min/Max current setting switch. Min is too high for 1/16" electrodes, Max not quite enough for 3/32" electrodes. Anyway, results are terrible. Considering getting my oxy/acetylene tanks refilled and going over the welds to flow them out.

But I've been wanting to get a TIG welder so I could learn to weld alum -- from 1/4" or 3/8" (intake manifold) down to welding tubes onto radiator cores, as well as stainless (exhaust) and of course mild steel.

Seems there now is a wide choice of inverter TIG units out there. Been looking at welder reviews.

AHP AlphaTIG 200 Amp AC/DC TIG Welder $750

PRIMEWELD TIG225X 225 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with Pulse CK17 Flex Torch and Cable $869

Weldpro Digital TIG 200GD AC DC 200 Amp Tig/Stick Welder with Pulse CK 17 Worldwide Superflex Torch $920

YESWELDER TIG-250P 250 Amp AC/DC Aluminum Tig Welder with Pulse, Digital Inverter Tig/Stick 220V $750

I like the Primeweld because it comes with the recommended CK17 torch.

I realize that I'll have to add about $300 for an argon tank :(

But for those you with actual TIG experience, what is your recommendation? Any of the above or something else?

How low does one have to turn down amps in order to weld tubes onto alum AC evap core end plates?

Finn

Back