• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lendo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lendo

Hello (from Australia) to all Aviation Entusiasts.

I'm in Brisbane, Queensland and Local to Duncan (RTFM), he suggested I joined the forum. My Title is short for my surname, Lendich.

I have the Vision Plans but intend to vary the design somewhat. After checking all the parameters, using the Roncz spreadsheets (SS) and finding the design as good as expected, I decided to look at designing a carbon tape (for caps) spar. The new Australian Ultralight rules have been extended to 600 kilo (1320 lbs), as is the US -LSC. I have the Jim Marske manual, but the web values I felt were a little light. After reading Billski's remarks, I tracked-down a Civil Engineering formula for Beam Buckling , but don't know if that overestimes or underestimates, as the formula is for unifom properties throughout the length. My spar is tapered, but an interesting exercise if anyone wants to see the Excel SS. I belive it gets me into the ballpark figure, but it would have to be refined more to get the accuracy I'm wanting.

I would love to get hold of Billski's SS, but would I understand it? probably not! but if he ever has the time to do a simplified program, I would be the first to put my hand up, but I wouldn't expect something like that for nothing.

I look forward to some interesting reading.
George

Back