Legal Eagle ease of entry?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dillpickle

I watched DOZENS of Legal Eagle YouTube vids today, trying to find one where the pilot was crawling in and out of the plane. All the vids show walk arounds, starts, then “POOF!” A pilot magically appears in the cockpit. How hard is it to ingress and egress? It looks a bit difficult with the v shaped door and both struts there. And does anyone have vids showing a 200 pounder plus crawling in or out? Is Leonard M. an 80 year old ex Olympic gymnast/contortionist, or is it a simple thing?

TFF

If you are thinking luxury car for entry, the closest I know is the Cirrus or a slide back Navion.

I would describe it like getting into an MG Midget. Getting the second leg in is the contortionist part. it is a sports car type airplane. Most people will be taller than the plane sits, so you have to bend down and into it.

My single seat biplane is not easy to get into, and it’s pretty spacious. To get in you have to grab the cabane struts and lower your self in while your feet take baby steps forward until your butt hits the seat, then you can get your feet over the gear bracing. Getting out is pretty much the same backwards. Grab the struts pull forward and baby steps until your feet are under you so you can stand up.

Rockiedog is probably 200 and 6 something. You can size him and the plane in his videos.

Pops

Log Member
Yes, but Rockiedog is as old, if not older and as stiff as I am :)

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
There aren't many small planes that I can think of that are truly easy to get into. Even the low-wing, open-cockpit Volksplanes are challenging enough that there is a recommended technique in VP handbook:

ENTERING

Probably one of the most useful pilot techniques developed during VP-1 testing was the "Mooney Mount" - the recommended procedure for entering the cockpit with minimum peril to the wing covering and adjacent structure.

The procedure starts from a position in front of the left wing.

Place your left foot on top of the wheel and your hands on the forward wing strut.

Stepping up on the wheel, swing your right foot over the wing leading edge and forward strut, and position it on the wing walk immediately adjacent to the cockpit.

Shift your weight to your right foot, reposition your left hand to the roll bar and with your left foot, step into the cockpit and onto the seat cushion.

Step in with
your right foot and turn to face forward.

At this point, be very careful not to sit on the aft fairing - it is designed to be an aerodynamic fairing and it might crack if sat on.

Bending down with your knees, reach down with your hands to the longerons and support your weight on your arms,

Slip your feet off the seat and onto the cockpit floor.

Straighten your knees and lower your body into the cockpit as you slide your feet forward to the rudder pedals.

You should now be comfortably seated after a rather graceful entrance that appears to spectators that you are either putting on your wings or you are being swallowed by them.

Last edited:

Jerry Lytle

I always got a kick out inviting someone to ride in my Taylorcraft. I am not sure but I think it impossible for one to put a leg in first. Fun to watch the struggle. Butt first and then legs super simple super easy.

Dillpickle

There aren't many small planes that I can think of that are truly easy to get into. Even the low-wing, open-cockpit Volksplanes are challenging enough that there is a recommended technique.
Yep. so far, the EASIEST airplanes I've straddled have been the Airbike, The Dragonfly, and a one Off design called the Ranger. Back surgery and shoulder surgery make this a consideration for me.

Kamcoman77

There are two videos posted by Darren showing entry. He is not 200#. The first one shows entry at the 3-minute mark. Engine running rough (before he found bad plug). The second video shows entry in the first 2-minutes. I am only 5"7" but weigh 240#, most of extra weight is in my middle. Makes it hard to squeeze into small spaces. I tried entry into a regular Legal Eagle Ultralight using the same method as Darren. Getting in was easier than getting out. Getting your feet through the bottom vee is the hardest part. It may be more difficult with the XL since there is a crossbar above the vee. Darren's plane has the crossbar. I could not get YouTube links to work, so in the YouTube Search box type "Legal Eagle taxi test" for 1st video and "Taxi around with the GoPro Hero 8 Black" for the 2nd.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Here are the videos Kamcoman77 was trying to post. They only be watched on YouTube (a setting by the person who posted the video).

Dillpickle

There are two videos posted by Darren showing entry. He is not 200#. The first one shows entry at the 3-minute mark. Engine running rough (before he found bad plug). The second video shows entry in the first 2-minutes. I am only 5"7" but weigh 240#, most of extra weight is in my middle. Makes it hard to squeeze into small spaces. I tried entry into a regular Legal Eagle Ultralight using the same method as Darren. Getting in was easier than getting out. Getting your feet through the bottom vee is the hardest part. It may be more difficult with the XL since there is a crossbar above the vee. Darren's plane has the crossbar. I could not get YouTube links to work, so in the YouTube Search box type "Legal Eagle taxi test" for 1st video and "Taxi around with the GoPro Hero 8 Black" for the 2nd.
Thanks! I have watched so many Legal eagle vids, my eyes were getting blurry!

TFF

A set of chocks with a long rope sent to the entry side would make getting through less of a race. Yank out before stepping in while at the door. The few seconds the thing is unmanned makes it a worrisome. Maybe a glider tow hook style release. Given time getting in and out is not bad.