• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Lazair covering material options - covering multiple wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okemo

Hi All!
I recently in herited 2-3 Lazair's that I am looking to get back into the air. I am looking for wing cover options. Im not a purist to the original I want something safe, durrable UV stable as possible etc. These will be a winter restore project for next spring.

-1st has a Tedlar covering with many patched holes and tape that has rotted / deteriated and I deem unfit to fly
-2nd the wings are bare with no covering but in good shape
-3rd the wings have been dissassembled, the D cell is in good shape and I have all the foam braces, elevators etc. just needs assembly.

I also have 2 more pairs of parts wings.

One will be powered by a good pair of rotax 185s with P tip props for now and eventually replaced by honda 212cc clones pushing ~15hp each.

The other 1-2 will will recieve 15hp honda clones from the begging. The two main pilots are ~160-170lbs so with the add HP I have a bit of a weight allowance but I do have 2 sets of floats I hope to take advantage of.

I have read through the Lazair forum The Lazair Ultralight

I think my options are;

Dacron (cheap but heavy?)
tyvek? (dont like that idea)
Oratex (expensive?)
Tedlar 2mil (hard to get? if impossible)
Mylar (not the most UV stable but cheap)

From others expierence are there any recomendations? Storage will be indoors / covered, price isn't a huge concern as long as one option isnt 10x the other. Im very capable so installation wont be an issue unless I need 20ft oven or somthing crazy. I believe I may have enough Dacron to cover one already at the previous oweners house (we thought it was fiberglass matting) but I could use it for something else if its not ideal, farmer :)

Looking for saftey, durrability and UV protection. Both pilots have young children and Lazair's are 'safe' as long as you dont have a wing failure.

Back