Launching Squirrels

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
This is not even remotely aviation-related and, Will, you've been here long enough to certainly know better! However I'm laughing far too hard to be able to find my "delete" button.

Pro Tip: If you're going to post something non-aviation in "Hangar Flying", make sure it's as hilariously good educational fun as this. ;)

poormansairforce

This is not even remotely aviation-related and, Will, you've been here long enough to certainly know better! However I'm laughing far too hard to be able to find my "delete" button.

Pro Tip: If you're going to post something non-aviation in "Hangar Flying", make sure it's as hilariously good educational fun as this. ;)
What is the aspect ratio of a flying squirrel and how does that aid in landing with almost zero ground speed? Now its aviation related!😂

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have just spent more time watching this than I did filling my "squirrel proof" bird feeders this AM. I'm late but yeah totally some aerodynamics and flying tips also. Also some distraction training.

BJC

HBA Supporter
What is the aspect ratio of a flying squirrel and how does that aid in landing with almost zero ground speed?
We have lots of flying squirrels here; the babies are cute, but the adults are pests. No, I haven't killed any, but it took persistence to stop them from building new nests on the top of the hangar door every day.

Based on observation, the AR of a flying squirrel is about 0.5.

BJC

poormansairforce

Did anyone notice how the tail is used as rotating weight mass/aero drag to twist the body or stop rotation? Both the squirrels and the cats did it. Like P-torque from a single bladed prop.😉

TFF

My take is if the guy wanted to build a homebuilt plane, he would not be worried about what glue or type of welder. He would just build it till done.

Pops

Log Member
My wife was in her quilting room and I heard her laughing from the other end of the house. What is going on ? She was watching that video of the squirrels.

Sockmonkey

The most efficient anti-squirrel tactic is to mix hot peppers into the seed. Birds won't mind it but the squirrels will be repelled by the burn.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
My lawyer is from Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel.... and he's working on a class action for the squirrels over gender disambiguation.