Latex paint on fabric covering

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Othman, Apr 12, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 15, 2014 #61

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

Here's one more, but the lighting and the light grey color keeps anything from showing up very well. I used semi-gloss paint and it just has a bit of sheen to it. You can see that somewhat on the elevator at the left side of the picture.

Lynn

Painted 2.jpg

Joe Fisher likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2014 #62

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I once flew in a Tri-Pacer in Arizona that had been painted with Rust-Oleum applied with a roller. It looked 80% as good as a traditional aircraft paint job, but the guy said it only cost him 10% of what aircraft paint cost. I'm not sure whether Rust-Oleum is flexible enough for fabric over time without cracking, but this fellow claimed it lasted well enough.

3. Dec 15, 2014 #63

TFF

TFF

TFF

Looks pretty good to me. A friend will be using it on his Legal Eagle soon.
    It use to be allowed to topcoat with anything on a certified airplane, but the FAA 10 years ago mad the STC holders tighten the grip only allowing STC approved products.

4. Dec 15, 2014 #64

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Norman likes this.
  5. Dec 16, 2014 #65

aerometalworker

aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Rustoleum is just a plain-ol' synthetic enamel type paint, and in classification not that different than the enamels that were used years ago on fabric. Its flexible enough, for a while, but fails in short order. Might be a decent choice for metalwork.

6. Dec 28, 2015 #66

pawpaw1212

pawpaw1212

pawpaw1212

This always amazes me. You spend thousands upon thousands of dollars 100s and 1000s of hours on your dream project. Why would you not use the absolute best product for the type of material your finishing?
    Spend 85 grand building your Wizbanger 1000 Special with all the bells and whistles and want to save a few bucks on paint?

I have seen several latex painted aircraft and every single one looks like garbage.

7. Dec 28, 2015 #67

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

While I tend to agree, I have seen several people who have gone to great lengths experimenting with latex application and ways to make it look good. I'm not sure what longevity it provides though.

8. Dec 28, 2015 #68

Pops

Pops

Pops

Friend of mine just painted his new Challenger 2 with Latex paint from Home depot with a top coat of clear Stewart paint. Very beautiful.

Dan

9. Dec 28, 2015 #69

Dana

Dana

Dana

The people spending 85 grand aren't the people using latex paint... it's the guy who scrimped and saved to finish a $5000 Minimax who can't afford to spend $400/gallon for high end paint.

Dana

BoKu, Midniteoyl, Joe Fisher and 4 others like this.
  10. Dec 28, 2015 #70

lake_harley

lake_harley

lake_harley

Yup....Dana's got it right. The only high dollar option I would have considered was Oratex and that would have been for weight savings alone....just a few pounds compared to using 1.7 Oz fabric and latex. But, after a $3500 quote for Oratex to cover my MiniMAX the cost in dollars per pound of weight savings didn't make sense to me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Lynn

11. Dec 29, 2015 #71

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Yeah all that extra expense is just another $50,000.00 toilet seat... but I guess that proves there's a market for everything... there are even people who think an extended warranty is smart...if the company actually thought something would break they wouldn't offer it (the warranty) in the first place. I've seen lots of planes painted with latex... works great!:)

12. Dec 29, 2015 #72

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

The best product to finish your aircraft is elbow grease, as in polished aluminum. Oh, wait, we're talking fabric here... :dis:

13. Dec 29, 2015 #73

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

I sometimes envy you metal builders... pop a few rivets and get runway clearance... ;)

bmcj likes this.
  14. Dec 29, 2015 #74

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

As tempting as such generalizations are, there is no "you." There is only you, and then there is everybody else. And we are all different.

When I throw down a cheap topcoat, regardless of whether its on carbon fiber or rusty iron, it is usually because some combination of:

* The finish is going to get beat to crap in short order; that's often the nature of exciting things you actually use for their intended purpose.

* It doesn't really matter how that particular thing looks from closer than about ten feet. What's important is how it works.

* The nature of development is such that the finish is going to get disrupted by changes or modifications.

* Part of the fun is changing the color.

For everything else there is a car shop down the road that will throw down pretty much whatever I want on whatever I want it on.

Thanks, Bob K.

Himat likes this.