• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Late to the Dream

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim D

Hey guys (and gals?).

At one time, many years ago, I had started a bucket list. It seemed like the thing to do. After a couple years, I realized that it had actually turned into a Closet of Regrets. I found that I had allowed the clutter of life, and that beast called "practicality", to derail some of the goals and dreams I had set forth. It was a pretty depressing point, and it weighed me down with discouragement.

However, I recently had a bounce-back, deciding that if I'm going to accomplish anything, it won't happen while moping over the wasted years behind me. I have to do <em>something</em>.

You may have gotten the impression that I'm an older guy. Yep, getting older, but with enough denial left in me to have some fun. Riding my motorcycle helps keep me young(ish), as well as keeping up on motor skills, situational awareness, and decision making while in motion.

I want to get into flying in the Light Sport category. First, because in acquiring a new skill set at my age I don't need something that goes warp 6, second, because I'm not particularly in a hurry, and third, at my age I'm inclined toward a Sport Pilot license; it would be heartbreaking to put the time, money, and effort into a PPL then have a medical disqualification.

I've been starting to look at some plan-built models. That's appeals to my limited budget, but 4-5 years of building would cut into what I have left on the clock. I'm also looking at a CH-701. The 750 would be my first choice, but there's that budget thing. At this moment it appears a 701 would be the shortest route to the goal of getting in the air. Considering the cabin size, I would like an opportunity to sit in one before pulling the trigger. I'll have to try and find out if there is one within reasonable distance of me.

Until a final decision is made, I'm keeping my options open. Anyway, I'm here for an education, and also to enjoy the discussion of things aviation.

See you around the site.

Back