• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Last-A-Foam vs Divinycell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

I'm trying to learn about the differences between Last-A-Foam and Divinycell foam.

I understand that Divinycell is used as a rib material in some European kitplane designs. It is PVC. Cost versus thickness is exponential.

I understand that Last-A-Foam is unaffected by water, fuels, and most solvents. It is a Polyether Polyurethane. Cost versus thickness is linear. Temperature resistant beyond 200 degrees F. It's flexible varieties are used as a shock absorbing material...I'm considering using about 10" to 12" of this as a seat bottom to save my spine, topped with Confor Foam Seat Cushion. Is flame retardant.

Strength Comparisons between the two materials shows that Divinycell is about 2 times stronger than Last-A-Foam for the same density. Analysis shows that strength of Last-A-Foam is proportional to density, so increasing density by 2 times gets you to an equivalent strength of Divinycell. This 2 times figure is an average of Shear, Tensile, and Compression. The Last-A-Foam of twice the density is actually about 1.5 times the strength of Divinycell in Shear and Compression, and about .84 times the strength in Tensile.

Both are used in sandwich construction. Both are used in fiberglass boat hull construction. Both are closed-cell and thus prevent liquid intrusion.

I just did a price comparison of the two material densities that would yield the 2x density as described above. 3 lb/sqft of the Divinycell versus the 6 lb density of the other, both in 3/4 thickness worked out to about the same price at $5.34 and $5.62/sqft respectivly. So at that thickness, Divinycell is the greater value because it is half the weight.

I am soliciting further light and knowledge on this subject if there are any among you who are experienced in either, or both of these materials.

Last edited:
Back