Larson 11 -- Anyone recognize ?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by dcstrng, Jul 8, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2018 #1

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

The other evening I ran across this single-place, highwing on YouTube, described as "Tailwind type aircraft with aluminum wing and A-65..."

Neither Google nor Forum (TW or HBA) searches found much of anything additional, other than it may be N112WT registered to a Greg Larson of Milwaukee. There have been a few single-place birds based on the TW over the years, and it appears this one may have a further adaptation of Callbie Wood's aluminum wings, but that is just a guess.

Does anyone recognize, or know any additional details?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa0dZOAACi8

Thanks...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    cluttonfred likes this.
  2. Jul 8, 2018 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Nice. Looks to be in the same category as the Spencer Original Design.

BJC

3. Jul 8, 2018 #3

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

LARSON11_ac001338901.jpg LARSON11_ac001345112.jpg LARSON11-mqdefault.jpg

Yes, that was my thought as well; found these pictures.

The wing does not appear to have the classic Wittman airfoil, and has double/parallel lift struts more like a Buttercup. And, looking in the vid (after several go-throughs on the video), it appears to have full-span ailerons (whether they may be flaperons is not apparent to me) and a full height rudder as well -- tuft studies appear to have been part of the builders phase-1.

Intriguing -- apparently there are more real builders out there than I suspected :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    cluttonfred and BJC like this.
  4. Jul 8, 2018 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Looks like a tailwheel version of my JMR Special.

5. Jul 8, 2018 #5

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Could there be some Buttercup DNA in there?

6. Jul 8, 2018 #6

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

The name sure sounds familiar but, no, I don't know anything about it. Check with back issues of Sport Aviation?

7. Jul 9, 2018 #7

TJay

TJay

TJay

very nice looking plane but I would think with only 100mph cruise in a single place you should be seeing 30 to 35mph in landing. Just my opinion. Love the tailwind look in it.

8. Jul 9, 2018 #8

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

I sent a snail-mail letter to the person listed by the FAA, so if he doesn't think I'm an obnoxious kook, more details may be forthcoming eventually...

BJC likes this.
  9. Jul 17, 2018 #9

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

Got a really nice note back from the builder of the Larson 11 – really interesting bird.

He noted; “My father and I started it Nov 2011 and flew it June 2014. The goal was to build it in 400 hrs for $4000 firewall back, we hit that mark…. it basically is a single place tailwind with a few changes. Length is 18'6, we moved the firewall out a couple of inches to accommodate the lighter weight of the A-65. The rudder is full size to be effective for lower landing speeds, 45 mph. It has a metal wing .025 6061T6 ribs and skin, double strutted (which is over kill) because no matter how many engineering books you read you still have to be comfortable flying it, also to prevent flutter because the ailerons are not balanced. We used Harry Riblett's 30-613.5 airfoil in a 60 inch cord, each wing panel is 10ft with a 2ft Wittman tip, 8ft of active airfoil. We tuff tested the tips during landing and didn't see any loss of air flow amazing. The Witt knew what he was doing! We used Ribletts airfoil because of the high lift properties, supposed to be better than the 4412, it does not roll over at higher speeds, no getting on step. The wing root is not necked down like Witts, this was for the ease of building…We choose the A-65 because nothing uses that engine anymore. We are using an Aeroveee carb without carb heat, hasn't missed a beat. The landing gear is Sonerai 2 place, cheap and easy to bolt on… We have an outside throttle on starboard side to assist with hand starting, 5th aircraft we employed this system with, don't to run around the strut to retard the throttle. The airplane fly's well. The standard Witt W-8ish fuselage doesn't have enough kick up for a slower landing airfoil, we can drag the tailwheel for awhile. The airfoil is fantastic, mushes in a stall full aileron authority (4ftx8in) and a big rudder. It has a Buttercup size elevator. We have a 66in warp drive prop probably set for climb, i say this because fuel burn is under 4 gph, cruise 95-100mph at 2150rpm. We are prop limited for clear sight over the nose bowl, which is a Vagabond nose bowl…”

Pops, cluttonfred, flyinut and 4 others like this.
  10. Jul 18, 2018 #10

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Larry, I'm sure you already know this but writing a comment on his you tube video may get a response as it usually goes directly to email. I have posted questions to videos on you tube that were > 1 yr old and have gotten a response within a day or two.

11. Jul 18, 2018 #11

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

I had left a comment, but not a question -- my digital abilities are somewhat underdeveloped/undeveloped/nonexistent so I just licked a stamp… amazingly, he was kind enough to answer (by email…).

Turd Ferguson likes this.