• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticserv

Hi all, things have been moving slowly though the spar is now half completed.
Have been doing a lot of experimenting with urathane disc's for the landing gear suspension, I got the idea from this forum and on investigating found that the Chipmunk and the Mosquito used this method of supension.
I have tested many different types of urathane made here in Australia, but with not much success.
Some had suggested fibroflex in one of the threads I had read here, so
I pursued this company which I found in Germany, the have very comprehensive data on their products which turned out would have saved me a lot of time and expense if I had went to them first.
Any how we have successfully designed and tested a leg (as attached j-peg)
to give 135mm of travel under 1250kgs per leg.
This is sufficient for a 950 kg aircraft to have up to a 3.5 g landing, (including tyre crush).
If your looking for urathane rubbers you cant go past Fibroflex
http://www.fibro.com/xdesk_neu/ximages/265/1145_b2hkgb2006.pdf
Have also put a picture of setting up the outer wing spar jig just for interest.

Shane

Attachments

• final leg revised.jpg
    final leg revised.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 596
  • outer wing jig 002.jpg
    outer wing jig 002.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 406
Back