• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Landing gear struts without scissor links

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpatelaero

Hello,

I am working on a tube-in-tube (Tony Bingelis/AR-5/CA-65) landing gear strut for a custom homebuilt that is a mash-up between a KR2 and a Gazaile II, with EZ-like construction methods. 1125 lb gross, Rotax 912iS. I'm considering designs that do not have a scissor link. Would greatly appreciate inputs from anyone who has firsthand experience with the following designs:

- Parker Teeny Two: Has a simple implementation with a spring and concentric rubber hoses. Torsional constraint is provided by a ~quarter inch bolt riding on a slot in one of the tubes. The contact stresses do come out to be high for a heavier airplane. Did the Teeny Two have any problems with the bolt-in-slot arrangement, esp. with wear/plastic deformation?

- Tipsy Junior: Seems like a square tube inside a circular one. Not sure if something like Phenolic/Delrin or wood is used as the spacer, but there seems to be a reasonable bearing area. Any experience with this design?

- Jodels: Some of them seem to have streamline struts with no scissor links, but I don't have any further info. Did they work well?

I will be able to do the structural sizing, so just need inputs on how the designs worked in general.

Thank you!

Back