• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Landing gear question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

The pieces that the landing gear bolt up to have to be of steel? Is this correct?
The reason I ask is that I am working on the "boxes" into which the gear wil retract. I was thinking of making them out of 3mm aluminium plate, but I was not sure how they would stand the impact and wear of landings, extension and retraction. The next thought was to use a steel frame to hold it instead of the alloy box. this would be better, as the steel runners and latches would definately hold up to the travel wear and landing impact placed on the brace. The pivot point where the strut ends is fixed.
These I gather would then be bolted into place?
I am checking out other designs to see how they tackled the problem, but I thought I'd throw it out here to get further feedback.
709nosewheel-med.jpg

Back