• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Landing gear placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fulcona

Trying to determine the proper placement of the main gear on my original design (taildragger). An EAA publication, and most others that I have read, state to draw a line through the thrust axis, place the plane in level flight attitude and determine the CG. From this CG, draw a line 15 degrees forward and where this line intersects the ground, that's where the wheels should touch. This is fine except no article I have read mentions which CG they are using. ( empty weight CG, gross wt CG, ect ). And if the plane were to have a ,say, 5 inch CG flight range, where along that 5 inches would you begin to draw the 15 degree line. To make matters worse, I ran into another article that says not to use the thrust axis, but at the planes vertical CG, which complicates matters . Suggestions? Thanks
Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back