Land ownership ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
This is almost exactly an actual hanger flying thread depending on the answers I get here I may pursue or not having a runway and a hanger .
For at least 100 years the north line of property A has had a decided angle to it.
In the cornfields of Central Illinois property lines run within inches of directly north and south and east and west this particular line though has been off by about 75 feet . It’s clearly seen in the photos the Japanese took of the United States back in 1938
In 1992 the Then current owners split off 5 acres for a family member
That acreage was even surveyed but the survey which never used instead it was used in that slightly slanted shape.
It was a parallelogram that was used not a rectangle.
20 years later that family member owner of the 5 acres decided to sell the house and move they deeded the back 4 acres back to the family members that they had got it from an only selling 1 acre right around the house in the front of the lot
New owners came along about the house on 1 acre and promptly went bankrupt less than two years later I bought the property From a sheriff sale.
The description in the sale bill for the property describes the entire 5 acres but it lays out the measurements of the lot which amount to just over an acre.
You say for over 100 years nobody realize the problem with this wedge shaped triangle of land
I took one look at it realized the angle of the lot lines was wrong and went and had a talk with the farmer that owns the 40 next north of the property we’ve been talking about .Of course he thought he been farming it for many years that it was his but he didn’t want something that wasn’t his so we paid for a surveyor and the surveyor straightened up the line and the farmer quit farming the ground on the south side of the line.

So for a year this long skinny piece of property sa as kind of a no man’s land.

That’s when somethings occurred to me ,the property owner from the original place wasn’t gonna farm it because he thought his stuff was all south of that slanty line.
A quick talk with the farmer to the Norris revealed he wasn’t gonna form it because it wasn’t his and he thought it belong to me
The family member That had originally bought that 5 acres had never owned it so His deed deeding it back to the original owners isn’t valid for that piece of property.
So for three years I had used it as a garden and considered it to be mine I had also thought about establishing a runway on it
Two years ago the farmer of the original larger partial changed the new guy came in And Not knowing the history and not recognizing or not caring planted over my garden.
So the next year I erected a string fence which he ignored and planted over again.

So the question is who do you think really owns this piece of property and what would you do??

The current owners of the original piece of property that all this came from are absentee landowners that I don’t like very much and I don’t care if I get along with them or not.
The current farmersare OK personally but they tend to run rough shot over everybody else around them one farming so I don’t care if I get along with them or not.

The first thing I would do is whip his a$$.

Then I would go to probate and get my documents together and have it settled in a court of law. AFTER, the a$$ whippin of course.

Just kiddin, be civil and handle it like a gentleman and what's right will prevail. Just remember that some people don't want to own all the land, just what touches theirs.

I had a similar experience just two years ago. Our neighbor was deeding some property to one of their family members and surveyor came in and did the ole GPS drive by survey which claimed about ten acres of my property. I settled it in Probate with the receipts of the taxes myself and family members had made over the previous 109 years.

Case closed. I won and the old line was reinstated post haste.

-YH

skip SMITH

I fought a neighbor who tried to obtain my land through adverse possession, 3 years and 52 thousand dollars to keep what was always ours, the good thing was that he sued 4 of us. It was pure hell, when it was over we won but didn't recover any costs. The only winners were the lawyers. Settle out of court whenever possible.

samyguy

Had a neighbor at one time who had problem like this.
New owner/farmer came in dosed the fence away and planted his seed/fertilizer.
Thought he was pretty shrewd figuring out he could buy 60 and get 20 for free.
Turnabout was fair play for the original guy living there.
He got his tractor and disc out after a month and plowed it all under.
After all the new guy never said a word to him about just did it.
Well he planted it again . And **** 3 weeks later it got plowed again.
Of course then lawyers and copper's were involved after that.
But original guy that lived there won out.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
The only winners were the lawyers. Settle out of court whenever possible.
Even better, get on good terms with your neighbors and stay that way. It's not always possible, of course, but it is so much better that way. Sure, there are folks who will take things they know aren't theirs, victimize others etc but they are fairly rare. Most people truly believe they are in the right in these conflicts.
I know folks who seem spring-loaded to attribute the most malign motivation to any perceived slight. It's a lot of work to go through life like that.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Even better, get on good terms with your neighbors and stay that way. It's not always possible, of course, but it is so much better that way. Sure, there are folks who will take things they know aren't theirs, victimize others etc but they are fairly rare. Most people truly believe they are in the right in these conflicts.
I know folks who seem spring-loaded to attribute the most malign motivation to any perceived slight. It's a lot of work to go through life like that.
It’s taken me 65 years to learn it but you are right most people think they are good people doing the right thing.
That’s why the question I’m really asking here isn’t watch the legal thing it’s what’s the right thing?

Aerowerx

Heard G. Gordon Liddy tell a story.

He regularly walked his fence line. One day he saw that a new neighbor had moved his fence. So he moved it back. Right on top of a newly paved driveway!

That is one neighbor you want to be friendly with!

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Oh another thing my airplane owning and pilot son owns 300 acres half a mile away from me where he’s thinking about establishing a runaway so it’s not like this really determines whether I get to fly or not

Off-topic (and deliberately)

The average surface of a farm in Belgium is 18 Hectares ... For ya Yanks (and others) = 44 acres.

So it is true: there is but one World but we live in different ones.

:)

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Growing up I was extremely Blessed to have been able to roam over 1,600 acres of land that has been in my family for over a century. We go out of farming in the 70's and early 80's when Soybean prices dropped to unprofitable margins as did some other farms in our neck of the woods.

I always appreciated our land as I do to this very day and was never once selfish and I always made it a point to take along my friends (hunting and fishing) that did not have any land.

I always enjoy watching others harvest a deer, turkey, ducks, and any other animal when the season was in session. We hunted them all as our main source of sustenance along with vegetables from the over sized garden. My grandmother called them Victory Gardens and naturally so since she was a child of the Great Depression and a young lady during the war.

Our property is in central Alabama located within a stones throw of the back side of Craig Air Force Base. I was told growing up that at one time Craig was the largest pilot training base in the world. Craig has been closed for a long time but one can still ride through the base and see all of the same building as they were in the Second World War and some more modern ones that were ushered in along with the jet age.

My grandfather served in the Army Air Corps during WWII and then served the the U.S.A.F. in Korea. My grandfather died when i was just three years old and I never had the opportunity to learn from him about his time spent working on anything from the Texan to the T-33. Since I am the only pilot in the family and the only one who truly is interested in all things aviation, I was given all of my grandfathers certification paperwork from every school or course he took during his time in the service. I have his piston all the way to jet certifications and wish I could have picked his brain

However, his best friend in life was still alive about ten years ago and living in Pensacola, Florida and I arranged to come visit with him because I had a desire to learn who my grandfather really was and what he was like. He met his best friend serving in WWII and they stayed extremely close until grandad passed away. He even named his first born son after my grandfather.

It is one trip I am glad I made. He told me stories I had never heard before and made sure to highlight that my granddad was a fine individual and that they don't make men like him anymore. I never knew my father so all I ever had to cling onto were stories about my grandfather.

One of the main reasons I am building my own aircraft other than the fact I can't live without them is to cut down on the travel time to and from where I live now and my homeplace. It takes almost five hours to get home from where I live and I may get lucky to visit twice a year but that is all about to change once I get this plane built and tested.

I literally have an 8,500 foot runway not two miles from where our homeplace is and I can't wait to get to fly my own plane in there.

-Yellowhammer

Pops

Supporting Member
I live with my Grandfather from 6 years old to 15 years old. He never drove a car, went by horse and buggy. He had 100 acres. Of the thousand acre land grant, Grandfather and his family bought all the land from the sons after their father died that got the land grant. When I live with Grandfather everyone on the ridge was family. We all worked the farms together as one family. Like the Amish do today.
The ridge is above the hollow were Grandfather's family hid out to miss the Trail of Tears march to OK. in 1837. Grandfather was born there in 1876. When I was a kid, I had his father's power horn and shot bag.
Wife and I took my 88 year old sister out the ridge last Saturday and visited the family graveyard.

Riggerrob

Hanlon's Razor reminds us to never attribute to cruelty acts that can equally be attributed to stupidity.

robertl

Heard G. Gordon Liddy tell a story.

He regularly walked his fence line. One day he saw that a new neighbor had moved his fence. So he moved it back. Right on top of a newly paved driveway!

That is one neighbor you want to be friendly with!
If you don't take care of things like that, in time the law will say, possession is the same as ownership. Reclaim what belongs to you.