• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Land developer attempting to prohibit my UL activity, options...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insect

Hi,

So I have a land dispute manifesting: We are looking to move, the lot for sale is ten acres with 1300 ft of clear grass, flat, it's access is directly to a state road, not to interior private drives. It faces away from other 10 acre lots, no low altitude flyover of neighbors would be needed considering the geometry. The realtor I used decided to share with the selling agent that I would be flying UL before I even showed up.

1) A supervising realtor who is the developer said no to it.
2) I got him on the phone, his expressions were "This is not appropriate for a subdivision, the county will not approve it, you will not be allowed, I assure you, your neighbors will move to stop this."
3) I retorted that I will then file the FAA form to declare an airport, and Virginia has a 'shall issue' form for private airports which I will also file, I do not expect that he will obstruct a federally recognized airport after that.
4) He mentioned that the county has laws on this topic that I should look up, they will not allow an airport in a subdivision.
5) I asked "Does this mean you will not sell me the house being aware that I will fly?" (I was bringing the interview into Fair Housing Act domain)
6) He responded with soft conversation and never answered my question. "I hate to see someone buy a house and then end up in conflict and not be allowed, we want to prevent that, blah..."

I understand what motivates his desire to not have the flyer in the neighborhood who scares off prospective buyers, a declared airport does that even more intensely; obviously I am a good neighbor and feel that I won't be a problem to anyone.
I lament that my realtor mentioned anything, but it is what it is.
The county offers a conditional use permit for private airports, specifically mentioned in the code, they offered to let me meet the zoning official to learn more. She said they have not done this before despite being in code, all their airports were declared prior to local ordinance.
The land for sale has covenants which state that no dangerous activity can occur on the land. They do allow farming and hunting, farming is actually quite fatal, I understand that hunting is extremely dangerous for the deer (I am not amused, but hey), thus UL flying isn't above those 2 activities.

Questions:
Has anyone here gone thru this?
Of those of you who have declared an airport with the FAA, does it pass thru local government, or is it more of a 'shall issue' matter at fed level? Does the FAA revoke airports later on if people protest?
Has anyone dealt with neighbors complaining to you; what became of it (apart from any invested developer).

Mind you, I only really want to fly like <20 times a year, simple stuff...

Thanks,

Back