Lancair International ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Magnetar

Hi guys,

I recently went on Lancair's website and came across bitter news that they stopped production of Mako and Barracuda kits following the COVID meltdown. The website doesn't seem to be updated regularly, are there any news as to when or if they would resume production ?

A company like them sitting on such I.P. and know-how should be able to stand out from the crowd !

They didn't seem to be at Oshkosh either, such a shame...

Magnetar

tspear

Supporting Member
If I recall correctly, all the IP was bought by a single family, and everything was moved to Galveston TX.
I have not talked to them in a number years. I hope they are doing ok.

Tim

Mark Z

These folks are in Uvalde TX. Sierra Industries is closely tied with Mark Huffstutler? I understand that the business modding Citations, and other makes, with Williams jet engines was sold then bought back. Same folks is what I understand.

tspear

Supporting Member
These folks are in Uvalde TX. Sierra Industries is closely tied with Mark Huffstutler? I understand that the business modding Citations, and other makes, with Williams jet engines was sold then bought back. Same folks is what I understand.

Sorry, Uvalde TX not Galveston. I also recall it was the a family behind Sierra Industries; how big a player, I do not know.

Tim

opcod

These kit must be very very old.. Es, isp, evolution are all been the proper kit.

TFF

The problem they fight, overall, is there are so many legacy kits unbuilt. Adding more doesn’t help, when you can pick one of the old ones for pennies on the dollar.

Magnetar

Thanks y'all for chiming in. From what I can gather, it seems they are pretty much lifeless

I would love to see them resurrect the Legacy and the IV with upgraded and updated designs. Simpler, Safer, Better (cheaper ?)
They could be a cirrus killer (at least on specs)

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
When they bought the IP and existing tools, I was hopeful because I wanted to see more Lancairs flying. But I also hoped that the new owners got the product for only a little money. The base company had pretty well worn out the tools and were selling very few kits, so could not justify the expense of new tools. The buyer was getting virtually no existing order book and big expenses to ship the first product. It never looked like a good recipe to me... Too bad too, because the products are good airplanes.

Billski

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
The IVs are gorgeous a/c, but even if I could afford the a/c itself, I couldn't afford the insurance (if it's even available). An acquaintance owns one; said that he got it really cheap (relatively speaking) because they're now almost uninsurable due to their terrible accident record, and he's willing to 'fly naked'.

The ES became a certified Cessna, and was then killed off. A friend who's flown both the Corvalis (or whatever Cessna was calling it) and Cirrus told me that the Cessna was a *much* better a/c. I guess Cessna needs to poach Cirrus' marketing people. ;-)

Since virtually every other kit maker's order book exploded in volume during Covid, it seems unreasonable to blame Lancair's decline on Covid.

KeithO

When one keeps moving the product into an ever higher priced "niche" chasing higher and higher margins, it should be no surprise when suddenly the market for the "big money" dries up.... I remember first looking into the FG Legacy in the early 2000's. It used smaller engines, the majority of the kit was fiberglass instead of carbon fiber and overall it was within reach of someone in the middle class with some disposable income. Before they killed the Legacy and switched over to the new models, they were selling only the retract version, it was all carbon fiber and the standard engine was the IO 550. The cost of the kit was up in the $90k range and of course the Continental 6 cylinder was a big chunk of change too. I stopped paying attention at that point.

Today the Arion Lightning is moving up into the space where that original Legacy FG had been and also a similar price class to where they had been all those 20 years ago. I have to hand it to the Lightning folks on pulling this off. Its unfortunate that the Jabiru is the default engine, because it has had a LOT of reliability issues, especially with TBO coming at less than 1/3 of the number they put out there. But it sure beats there being NO composite airplanes left for EAB in this price range.