Lancair designs for sale

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Battson

Classic HBA.... :depressed

Back to Lancair, if I may, they are selling a range of really nice designs. They are so good to look at.
However they are high cost to purchase, for now... so sales are probably not great.

I would love to see these designs taken on by a serious Exp. Aviation company with a wider portfolio of similar light aircraft. Someone who will take them seriously and keep them on the market. It would be a shame to see the designs go south now. In the future when carbon fibre is much more commonplace and consequently cheaper, they might well be in reach of a large market share. All the expensive setup costs, like the engineer, designs, moulds, tooling, are no doubt already bought and paid for. It looks like a good deal for someone.

TFF

I wonder what they are saying in the booth at Oshkosh. I walked by a coupe of times cutting across the plaza. Whatever it costs to buy, you better have that much in cash after it is set up just to pop the first one out.

Victor Bravo

Wait a minute... there are two separate considerations here for Lancair being bought and moving to China.

One is that a Chinese investor could buy the company and continue building and selling homebuilt airplane kits. This is a small market that would be subject to the issues mentioned in this thread... flooded market of unbuilt kits, government paranoia about homebuilding, no government oversight, etc.

Another track is that they could manufacture high performance light airplanes, under whatever government approval and oversight exists, put their own people to work building them at factories around the country, and sell the finished flying airplanes in China and worldwide wherever they can get them approved. If the sale of the Lancair assets is limited to the two place airplanes, then the market is for private customers who want a flying Ferrari or Lamborghini.

It seems to me that starting with a proven, attractive, high performance airplane design, with most all the bugs worked out, would get them into this market somewhat efficiently.

Tom Nalevanko

Wait a minute... there are two separate considerations here for Lancair being bought and moving to China.

One is that a Chinese investor could buy the company and continue building and selling homebuilt airplane kits. This is a small market that would be subject to the issues mentioned in this thread... flooded market of unbuilt kits, government paranoia about homebuilding, no government oversight, etc.

Another track is that they could manufacture high performance light airplanes, under whatever government approval and oversight exists, put their own people to work building them at factories around the country, and sell the finished flying airplanes in China and worldwide wherever they can get them approved. If the sale of the Lancair assets is limited to the two place airplanes, then the market is for private customers who want a flying Ferrari or Lamborghini.

It seems to me that starting with a proven, attractive, high performance airplane design, with most all the bugs worked out, would get them into this market somewhat efficiently.
I just watched a video where their CEO said that they saw little realistic interest from non-US buyers of the company.

Blue skies,

Tom

BBerson

HBA Supporter
China investors bought Cirrus and Continental and Mooney, I think. But didn't move them to China.

TFF

To move certified aircraft manufacturing requires recertification of the new facility by the FAA. Many a small company moved to find out they could not afford the recertification and closed. How much fun the FAA would have in China? Just moving a table can possibly require recertification. A lot of these investment companies are also local government entities that get at a boys.