Laminated wood spar

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Need-to-build, Sep 27, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2003 #1
    I have a design that calls out for a solid 3/4 inch solid wood spar. If I instead build the spar with 3, 1/4 inch thick boards and glue them together (a laminated spar) would that be the same strength as a single piece spar of the same thickness?

2. Sep 27, 2003 #2

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy

El Cheapo

I think they use a bigger size when laminating , but I'm not sure that I would want to experiment with a SPAR.....with all the flexing it would go through the laminating might make it too rigid , and the limited flexability could spell trouble......and besides...3/4 " sounds like you should break down and buy one.....Gotta Fly...Mike

3. Sep 27, 2003 #3

wassbiplane

wassbiplane

wassbiplane

laminating Spar

Where U gonna git 6 nice boards 1/4" thick ??

Yes it will be as strong--- but why dontcha look at some spars like they usta do em---
    Still just as good a design as today

Search---http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/

Jerry

4. Sep 27, 2003 #4

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

George Sychrovsky

Banned

You don't give enough information to get the answer. what the dimensions of the spar are and how you intend to laminate it. Generally a solid spar can be replaced with laminated one. Some critically loaded spars like on sailplanes are constructed laminated to start with to even out the flaws and irregularities in wood. But there is always the right and the wrong way to do something.