• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Laminated wood landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidb

I have been lurking in various threads to gather ideas for a laminated wood landing gear that would work on a VP2. I have done some construction on what I hope will be a successful design pending testing. I am soliciting critical comments--my pink body is more fragile than my ego.

I think the weak point of this gear will be the mounting of the KR axles to the wood legs. I have to figure out a bearing plate or sleeve design to spead the torsional load at that joint--the wood itself surely won't have the bearing strength. Ideas welcomed.

Some info: 1/8 inch (nominal) yellow birch laminated with West System epoxy, steam bent the wood to form and let dry before doing the glue-up, 7 inch radius bend, 2 inch thick, 6 inch wide tapered to 3 inch, 25 pounds (20 wood/5 epoxy).

Attachments

• 2 springback.jpg
    2 springback.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,951
  • 3 epoxy glue-up.jpg
    3 epoxy glue-up.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 5,452
  • 4 cross section.jpg
    4 cross section.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,947
  • 5 front.jpg
    5 front.jpg