Lamb undercarriage in a KR2 - seeking any info at all

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

O2flyMore

I have two KR2 projects, and trying to decide which to finish. I just learned at this months' KR Gathering in Missouri, that one has Lamb mains and nose gear on it. I'm looking for a parts manual, exploded diagrams, owners manual, etc - to decide if I should keep it or replace it. I've found that Lamb gear have been used in some spam cans (incl. Beechcraft), but nothing about a set of gear as small as a KR2. I was told that this gear was originally intended to be fixed gear, and that it was reworked to be retractable. I want to return it to fixed.
Any help is appreciated, I haven't been able to find much at all, even a manual for the Beech version.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
From memory, so confirm this.

The KR-2 originally had a very simple retractable gear. The original gear was not very good. The latches would rattle loose on rough fields, dumping the plane onto its belly; it took a lot of juggling, in a barely positively stable airplane, to get the gear down and locked (yank the "johnson bar" to get it down, then manually latch the two down locks, hoping that the airloads didn't retract the gear while you did that); the stock spring bar wasn't really stiff enough for planes that weighed more than the prototype; and it was relatively draggy - there was NO speed loss when going to fixed taildragger gear.

The most common fixed gear was developed by Dan Diehl (who also made the most common accessory case for the engines, and made lovely pre-molded wing skins for the KR-2), both in a taildragger and a nosegear version. They used 3m Scothply laminated sheets for the gear legs, and are long out of production, but you might be able to get some information from the company, which is still in business doing other things Diehl Aero-Nautical

There were other fixed gear mods, some using the aluminum bar gears from Sonerai II, and other adaptations of common landing gear from other homebuilts.

Lamb marketed TIRES - a smaller "clone" of standard aircraft tire, that was an improvement over the go-cart tires commonly used. Look for Cheng-shin 11-400 X 5.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I built an early KR-2 that I started in about 1975 or so. If I remember correctly the EW was 490 lbs. I used to stock LG but with stronger springs on the locking handles and had a Tee Handle on the instrument panel with cables and pulleys that I pulled to unlatch both handles. Dan Diehl's KR-2 was first at OSH and I copied his windshield bow and gullwing door. At this time I would go with the cleaned up fixed gear.

don january

Log Member
I had a retractable stock gear on my KR-2 but later flipped it over and mounted Diehl tri gear to it. You will be replacing some foam on the belly along with Glass. It was a big improvement due to less moving parts but front gear was prone to shimmy and toe in was a area to deal with. I was surprised I never heard of the LAMB gear unless it's the gear Mr. Lamb designed and build years ago ?

O2flyMore

Don, you're correct - it is THAT Lamb gear. I know it's old, but it's on this plane, and I'm trying to find out if it's worthwhile to remove it and replace with the Diehl gear I have in the hangar. This Lamb nose gear is pretty robust! Where could I get a schematic or even a manual for it?

challenger_II

May I suggest...

Rather than using the Cheng-shin, go to Desser Tire, and get the 11-400 x 5 nose wheel tire for the Cessna Skycatcher. Is a higher ply tire, and $20 each. I have both, on-hand, and the Skycatcher tire is a better quality tire.

Lamb marketed TIRES - a smaller "clone" of standard aircraft tire, that was an improvement over the go-cart tires commonly used. Look for Cheng-shin 11-400 X 5.

don january

Log Member
Don, you're correct - it is THAT Lamb gear. I know it's old, but it's on this plane, and I'm trying to find out if it's worthwhile to remove it and replace with the Diehl gear I have in the hangar. This Lamb nose gear is pretty robust! Where could I get a schematic or even a manual for it?
I don't believe there was any more made of his gear and the only way to get answers would be from the builder which I imagine he has passed by now? If all welds look good and is still functioning well you may be best off to leave it alone. If you want to switch to Diehl gear you will be adding holes in your root spars and that is never a good thing and it is a hand full of work to complete. I hope you all the best in your project.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Pictures! Never heard of it, and subscribed to the KR newsletter for a long time.

don january

Log Member
Appears to be the stock main legs for a Taylor-monoplane with drag links. And drag links are totally in the wrong position. Re tracks you say ?

Turd Ferguson

Lamb Electric made the landing gear motor for Bonanza's, Travel Air's, T-Bone's for a while.
Would that be a Lamb gear?

O2flyMore

A prior owner was setting up retractable gear with this, but I will be happier with fixed gear. Do you have any additional info about the Taylor monoplane gear, Don? I'm asking because the nose gear has a spring in it, and bounces nicely. However, the mains don't give at all. Makes me think they use rubber disks (sometimes called washers or pucks), and maybe I should check them out or just replace the whole setup with Diehl landing gear. I want to find instructions or a manual for this brightly painted gear before deciding to scrap them.

don january

Log Member
I have the prints for the Taylor-monoplane gear and yes they should have a spring inside. I'm afraid I can't help you with the gear you have