• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LAA Schrenk Approximation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imamac96

Hi All,

I'm trying to learn a bit about Schrenk's approximation.
There's a great little document from the LAA on Schrenk Approximation (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2010/Engineering/Design/schrenk approximation.pdf), which I'm trying to emulate.
I've gotten consistent results with them so far, but I'm very stuck once I get to their section on Wing Root Reaction.
I should understand this stuff from Statics/MoM, but I can't quite figure out where they pull numbers from.

They say in the second to last paragraph on Page 11:
"Hence in this example case, the constant ultimate bending moment across the centre-section can be assumed to be 116596 lb in. The root shear reaction can be assumed to be (2575 - -731) = 3306 lb per side."

I have absolutely no idea where these (bolded) numbers are coming from. They're not listed anywhere else in the spreadsheet. There are no calculations for these described.
Is anyone familiar with this document? Would it be possible for anyone to describe this calculation?

I'm not sure if -731 is calculated or specified, but it is in the spreadsheet to represent the reaction at the wing root joint.
I have absolutely no clue where 2575 came from.

My work so far is here if you'd like to inspect: Schrenk

Thanks,
Connor

Back