LAA plans now on CD

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by fly2kads, Jan 20, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 20, 2017 #1

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

So it looks like the LAA has now started offering the plans for their so-called "heritage aircraft" on CD instead of on paper. The price is pretty decent, at 50 GBP, less than half of what the paper plans used to cost. The USD/GBP exchange rate is *ahem* rather favorable at the moment, too. The aircraft available are:
    • Isaacs Fury
    • Isaacs Spitfire
    • Druine Turbulent
    • Currie Wot
    I just ordered the Druine Turbulent plans. If the quality of the scans is OK, I suspect I'll wind up ordering the others, too, at some point!

http://services.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/catalog/322

Topaz likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2017 #2

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Please do let us know how the plans look on CD, I have the Turbulent and Currie Wot plans somewhere (moved recently, still unpacking) but would prefer the digital option.

3. Jan 20, 2017 #3

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Will do!

Goodness gracious, Matthew, why do you even bother unpacking? ;)

4. Jan 21, 2017 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Tell me about it! ;-)

Battler Britton likes this.
  5. Jan 21, 2017 #5

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

fly2kads likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2017 #6

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

I received the CD containing the Druine Turbulent plans a couple of days ago, and have taken a first pass through the contents. The scans are well done. The main set of plans is particularly clear. It is evident, though, that the originals are becoming a bit tattered, exhibiting frayed edges and taped tears. I suspect that the declining condition of the prints may have been a driving factor in the decision to preserve the plans through digital scans. None of the defects impact the usability of the drawings. The scans are watermarked, which is a bit annoying, but again does not affect their utility.

The Turbulent CD contains a large amount of supplemental materials. Included in these are:
    1. Required and optional modifications
    2. Various modifications made by Rollason in response to customer requests
    3. The Rollason service manual

The manual has a couple of interesting features. One is the factory inspection checklist. The other is this warning, which I find somewhat amusing:
    In my judgement, the CD is a worthwhile investment, and I'm glad I bought it.

cluttonfred likes this.
  7. Dec 26, 2017 #7

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

I recently purchased the Currie Wot plans. The scan quality is just as good as with the Turbulent, and the originals they started with were in better condition. They are very readable, and don't have the occasional tears and tape repairs that the Turbulent plans have. The supplemental materials consist of several articles that were published in the LAA magazines over the years. Several approved modifications are included in the plans set: cub-style truss landing gear, alternate fin/rudder shape, and mounts for several different engines (JAP-99, Mikron, C-65, and even a VW!). No plans for the floats or the Rover gas turbine engine that were fitted at various times, though. ;)

Random thought #1: I didn't realize that the Wot fuselage was constructed in three pieces, then joined together. No sharp bends in the longerons this way. The fuel tank is isolated in a cell between the firewall and the cockpit.

Random thought #2: Pete's Pegasus DP-1 motor might be a candidate for the Wot. It weighs about the same as the JAP-99 used on the prototype, but has a power output closer to the Mikron engine fitted later.

8. Dec 27, 2017 #8

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

The Wot, Spit, and Fury are all interesting to me. I googled around for pilot reports on each of them, but only found one for the Fury. Does anyone have links to Wot or Spit pilot reports?

9. Dec 27, 2017 #9

hohocc

hohocc

hohocc

I bought a set of Turbulent drawings about 20 years ago, I think from memory it was from Rollasons (may be wrong on that), and at that stage they were obviously copies of very worn masters which had a lot of tape repairs around the edges. Perfectly usable but the master copy had clearly done a very high mileage!

10. Dec 27, 2017 #10

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

I know the EAA Sport Aviation archives has at least one of each. I'd have to go back and see if I can find them again.

11. Dec 28, 2017 #11

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

The Wood Aircraft Building Techniques book sold by EAA might have comments on the flying qualities of the Spit. Several chapters in the book feature the construction of the Spit and might have been written by Isaacs himself. I don't have the book so I am going on memory.

12. Dec 28, 2017 #12

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I thought a Starlet was featured in that one. I'll have to find my copy...