KR2 and Taylormono plane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

don january

Log Member
Post #120 I show work on the rudder and this is the first side covered. I have holes for sewing at bottom rib and laid out other ribs for stitching 22 IN TOTAL. airflow is very smooth and as long as I get good stitches and pinking tape on top with good lines and glue job should have very little drag. thread holes are just big enough for needle to pass through and I believe I will glue in 1-3/4" inspection rings on one side for access to hinge nuts. Will leave the rings sealed until needed z rudder cover.jpg

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
Got rudder completely covered with fabric only and started on elevator to get it to same stage. Poly Tak is practically odor less so I was able to go to this stage of the covering. I brushed on one coat of poly brush in the basement but it's odor is on a much higher level🤢 Very cold in the garage so will turn on the heater when I get both controls stitched and taped and do the ploy brush out in garage. The fin needs 1 or 2 passes of brush then will give every thing some Poly spray for UV protection. Color or toner is still in debate but I'm really leaning to go with this Curtiss P-40 paint colors and pattern. . I count 42 stitches on elevator and I stayed in the 2-1/2"spacing on all stitches. BEST OF ALL this build has been great relaxation during these troubled times and like so many say a little each day.
Curtiss_P-40N.jpg.elev.covered.jpgELEV COM.jpgrudder complete.jpg

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
So just when you think you have all the needed tools. I was gluing down the ply skins on the horz Stab and on the third piece I was limited on clamp reach and found this way pressured up the surface area very well. I was tempted to go get the kitchen sink but found just enough full paint cans to get the mission done.😊 I guess being creative can get things done. I got the mounting tabs welded to fuel tank and need just to drill 2 holes in upper longerons. When I stepped back and looked at the project of gluing I about fell down Laughing my ass off. I said to myself the Forum has to see this mess. So for your entertainment here it is . Best part is the wife let me borrow her pink hammer to get that pressure down on the wood. weight away.jpgfuel tabs.jpg

don january

Log Member
I thought it important enough to add to build log. Opened up access holes for hardware in HZ. All bolts are threaded into Tee nuts and backed up with nylon lock nuts. If needed in future bolt can be accessed from each end and a dollar patch can cover the re-paired area. My hope is the holes never need to be opened. X- my fingers. Bow leading edge will have fabric only covering and saved a little weight in the build. access hz top.jpgaccess hz bottom.jpg

don january

Log Member
Just a fast check in to share my build thoughts. Now that I have my tail group in fabric and waiting for warm weather to do the final Poly fiber steps I have been laying out the fuselage sides plywood and I got focused in the fuel amount to be carried. On a stock Taylor-monoplane you have 6 gallons of fuel and my header tank carries only 3.2 gal. My thoughts was to build wing tanks into the Diehl wings but then It hit me while looking over war bird photos that a belly drop tank was a common way to haul fuel and I can buy a 5 gal. bullet shaped tank made for strut mounting and could easily be fastened to the belly of my plane. Running a 1600-1835 cc VW engine fuel burn with 3.2 gallons would limit me to a very small window of flight time but with a added 5 gal it would give a better amount of cross country flight time and a much better reserve and best of all if belly tank is mounted in the right spot of CG fuel burn from it will not be noticed nearly as much as the header tank and much easier to service and maintain. Fuel leaks have been a problem for many KR-2 in header tanks and wings so this is one reason of my looking into tank options and locations. Just wanted to share these thoughts and let you all know the build is coming along good and enjoying 99.9 percent of the time spent building the T-mono. Seeing the money leave the pocket for supplies is always a bummer so hard to stay 100% happy all the time.:pilot:strut tank.jpg

don january

Log Member
Good to see you drop by. I want to share a step I did to my Horizontal stabilizer tips to add strength in case of those dreaded bird strikes or a youngster running a tad bit to close to the tail. As you can see in past pictures that area of the horz stab is next to impossible to cover with ply so you have the choice of filling with balsa or just have fabric alone to wrap the leading edge of bow. What I decided to do was to fabric cover that area only and once all was dry I inserted a a tube from a can of expanding foam just forward of the front spar and filled the void with over the counter expanding foam. before the fabric was applied I had put in a stiffener to support the bow dowel at mid way and I knew that would help but after fabric was applied I could see the dramatic change in the flow of the air that would take place along the leading edge from last rib to outer tip. In fact not sure if plywood could even conform to the shape. Balsa shaped would have worked well also but once sanded to shape you would have glue lines in the balsa and you all know how that can be to sand. It was rather a blast to do especially when the tube was pulled out ( reminded me of that high school science project we all seen in school of the volcano eruption ) I thought at first to plug the hole but found out quickly to let the pressure bleed off and after a few minutes the lava flow eased up and foam still worked its way through the fabric very well and next step was to sand until I just touched off the fabric. Doing this gave me a super strong leading edge from root to outer tip so I feel sorry for any bird or child that meets it head on. After this was done I covered the HZ with normal covering procedure consisting of 4 fabric pieces extending from center of root to tip. "NOTE" I did add a piece of balsa on the bow just past the tip rib about 2 inches long and tried to get a good arch before fabric was placed on. Second try did come out better but I suppose that's them little flaws the builder is aware of more then most.bow tip.jpgtip 1.jpg

don january

Log Member
Hello fellow plane nuts I stopped in to enter a update for the log. Its been a rather constructive month on the JT1 with getting the tail group behind me in the build process. Its amazing how much concentration a person needs at this stage of a build to keep things flowing in order and without a glitch. I'm foaming at the bit to get the fuselage covered in ply and fabric but In my case I sat back and looked things over and realize the ply on the Fus. is a little less important then other thing inside the Fus that need to be done and checked then double checked and it sure is easier to reach and do without a sheet of plywood or wing in the way and in my opinion if a person hurry's things just a touch too much your chances of flaws and mistakes increase dramatically. My spray foam tips turned out well and thanks to our big fat cat at home it got the pressure test it needed. I had the Hz up on the shopsmith and while I went to the head the cat decided to walk the plank and abandon ship but to his great surprise the plank choose to follow him down to the hard cement floor but all ended well. I hope all my fello HBA are safe and in good health and spirits. Don. z-1 plane.jpg

don january

Log Member
June follow up. Had a great time with a husband and wife project just before spring sewing the fabric on control surfaces. We did each knot separate and that spare finger was just the trick. Poly brush and spray are drying up because weather is right. Focused on Cowling shape and mounting along with engine mount and wind screen. Would love to have a bubbled canopy but then more work time and expense play into the factor and that dreaded weight gain. Have main gear legs but I have hesitated on drilling mounting holes because I'm pulled to a Grove type set up but I do need to look into that area soon. I ask my self just how much gear change would effect print design and certification. Have 3 sheets of 2 mm Ply ready for Fus. sides and need some 1.5 mm ordered. Main thing at this stage of build is Don't be to eager to cover in the Fus and give yourself plenty of time to make sure you reached all you can from the outside. I'm first to admit I'm as slow as a turtle building this plane but keeping steady is the goal. Eye to the Sky and happy flying. Don a 1 fus.jpg

don january

Log Member
Been very busy with some of my other hobbies such as my RC's and my VW Trike and all those summer chores but things are progressing along nicely on the Taylor- monoplane. Had to spend some time to organize room for the plane out in the garage and move the Trike out to a custom fit shed made for it . From spinner to tail wheel there are things being done on the plane. Go left or go right it's easy to find something to work on. Health is good. Later

don january

Log Member
Hello build watchers. This is a update to tell of a bump in the road to my build. I woke up a couple of weeks ago with a right eye that had lost partial site. Beings the big baby I am I went too the doctor and was told I had suffered a Eye stroke what I have never heard of and the culprit was said to be due to my high blood pressure that I let get away from me. In the last few weeks I have been to many doctors and doing well tho this will probably end my solo flying. The JT-1 Monoplane is still getting some things done to it and I plan not to give up I will just have to except the fact that a different pilot will get to see it airborne. The smaller detail work is being a problem to see for me and will set me back in time with the build but what the heck many people due great things with less site then what I have now. One area I'm focused on now is adding a second set of Elevator control cables to back up my design of single cables. Note the plans show for a duel set of Elevator cables running down each side of the Fuselage and I eliminated that set up to match the KR-2 type. I believe a good elevator trim would be of help in a bad situation but researching the whole area before covering the aft Fus with plywood. I'm slow I'm slow so off to work I go. I hope you all are safe and doing well Don

don january

Log Member
Sept. update: Progress on the T-mono is moving along and I will have some picture updates in a month or two there is not too much to show other then some plywood placed and controls covered. On a building note I must admit the stitching and final tapping and getting the knots pulled back through the fabric can be a real challenge and a builder must be willing to cut the string and restart a stitch. My thoughts on the Poly Fiber system is as such. The Tack is a good glue. The odor has no effect on me in a tight area tho the MEK must be controlled for ventilation. Poly Brush is a "STINKY PETE" :) to work with but like the Poly Tone if sprayed on they both are not too bad. I have decided to keep the Fuselage in the basement for this winter and keep going on it as far as I can until root spars need to be mounted permanently but its amazing how much can be done to the craft before wings need fitted even main gear can be mounted. Health is staying good as I hope all of you are and I was able to see a Ag plane from a mile or so away and could tell what color it is so that gave me a boost for the build and my sight. Don

Attachments