Quantcast

KR2 and Taylormono plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

don january

Log Member
Up date around mid May. I have been working steady on getting all the control horns and hinges cleaned up and made for their mission once the covering is complete. I have made two sets of Elevator hinges tho larger set is still in need of 3 half pieces. the small set allowed for only 1 -1/16 gap between HZ and elevator compared to the 1-1/2" the KR-2 hinges has. I guess this is part of that do it twice thread because you have to drill and mount every thing first and get satisfied with your fit then remove it all to cover the control. No wonder it takes so much time to build a plane. :popcorn:a fittings 1.jpga fittings 2.jpg

don january

Log Member
I think I better mention a new research area on the fittings left over from the KR-2 regards to the Aileron Diff't quadrant. The area I'm checking into is the print call for 22.5 degree on the Taylor-m and as close as I can tell on the KR-2 its near to 21 degrees on the set I have. What I need to do is dissemble the ones I have and get a better accurate measurement of the angle the KR-2 is really at. The photo shows the many metal parts that go into an all wood aircraft and for future builders it gives a bit of an idea of how much metal work is required and lets not forget the engine mounting and landing gear and roll over protection and so on is not even in the picture so builders this is one reason building a plane can be such a time consuming ordeal. The photo shows the hardware mounted in the root area of the wing to control Aileron control tho most pulley's have been removed. On the Taylor-m the Diff't is mounted about 75% of the span of the wing and on the KR-2 its mounted in the stub wing root and that is were my research is focused on. I don't see any reason the KR-2 quadrant's won't work on the T-mono especially with using the Diehl wing type of build. Stay safe All.a fittings 4.jpg

don january

Log Member
I went out to the local airport (Lakota N.D.) and found these two birds ready to take off. I mainly went to just spend time in the flight community and keep a feel for what I'm spending all this time building the T-mono for.:bow: So another part of the build. Emotional part that sometimes needs boosted.airplanes lakota.jpg

don january

Log Member
I bought a Airpath Whiskey compass from a Cessna 172 and mounted it in my panel. Wasn't much room on top and right in my line of sight so I cut the stock wind screen mount down and made three small Alum angle tabs to mount on back side of dash and it extrudes out about 1" from dash on pilot side. Many things done and many things yet to godash compass.jpg

don january

Log Member
June nearly over and progress is light this month. A person sure finds out the other "Honey do's" that go along with building an aircraft and keeping the yard and house in order. I have received some ply I needed for Fus. along with some sewing tools for covering. I'm still spending a lot of time sealing the wood and the many small things to assure the craft is ready to cover, Its funny just when you think a certain area is done something seams to pop up that needs attention. A friend gave word he has passed his T-mono build over to his local EAA chapter beings he felt it was just a bit out of his abilities to finish it alone but I'm very proud of him at over 80 years young to get the build to where it is at. I'm still building and having fun. Don

don january

Log Member
Yep I'm still at it. Slow going but oh well that's part of the fun. Looking forward to winter to dive into the wings a bit more and not worry so much about the yard work. I'm kinda focused at the moment on fuel supply. Just a single header tank or incorporate wing tanks for better range. As you can imagine it get a bit cold after a couple hours in a open cockpit so no need for too much fuel. Its been a good time fellas. DonDad and Keith.jpg

don january

Log Member
I pinched myself today and felt it so I guess I'm still alive.:p I was given this fuel tank by a friend who plays rhythm guitar in our hanger band and it fits the opening in front of the Taylor-mono near perfectly just need to drop bottom of tank below top longeron 2 inches to clear upper cowl. I filled and it holds 3.2 gallons with out fill neck installed and is set up for plumbing in wing tanks so 5 gallons each wing and header give 13 gallons total and that's about twice of what the plans fuel load calls for. So I guess I'll need to carry a spatula big enough to get my a$$ out of plane after burning that amount of fuel in an open cockpit plane🥶 On a positive note the CG shift will be very little providing I can keep the wing tanks close to the rear of front spar which is where the CG is located on the Mono. Fella's I'm still having a great time building and haven't pulled out quite all my hair yet👨‍🦳 z fuel 1.jpgz-bars.jpg

don january

Log Member
Dropped by to show a test fit going on with the fuel tank. Took only one cut to instrument panel to get the height needed and now to get some mounting tabs welded on along with a hand full of elbows and so on. The black bolt on cap will be replaced with a Alum plate with fill neck welded in center made to length to reach top of cowl. Bottom of tank is Approx. 4 inches from top of rudder pedals. Leg room is still very good a fuel tank.jpg