KR2 and Taylormono plane

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by don january, May 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 18, 2019 #81

don january

don january

don january

A up date on this picture. You can see the drag anti drag wood brace in Horizontal Stab 45 degree to the spar. I have decided to detail those with balsa to give more of a glue surface and help with directional forces that the ply skin will deal with. I also added a x-brace just back of the leading edge and leveled up with balsa to have a good glue line because down in that slot will be access to the mounting bolts and other end of bolts will be reached from access plate under HS. per print . It will be plied up to the width of the base of the Vertical Stab in that area and a water tight seal will be between the top of the HS and base of Fin. tail.jpg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. Dec 19, 2019 #82

don january

don january

don january

Have you ever wondered what the heck the blue was for?? blue to look.jpg it is a great trick to see how straight the lines are if you use a laser to check for straightness. HS mount.jpg this is for those builders who may one day get it done. just remember to hand test each and every piece of wood you glue in place because your life may depend on it. And last but not least the X-mas goodies that should be on all builders list, Jig tables and all the goodies to chew the wood up. And you said you want to build a plane. Well get er done my friends its just a matter of time and shes finished x-mas goodies.jpg

3. Dec 22, 2019 #83

don january

don january

don january

Twas a few days from Christmas and all threw the house propellers where spinning and I caught a mouse. Sand paper was sanding and my hand was getting hot and I peeked under the tree to see what I got. The Taylor- mono was whining asking what you get me and I looked straight at it and said hush or next year you'll be my tree.:) :pilot: Merry Christmas every one 2019

Little Scrapper, delta, Pops and 3 others like this.
  4. Dec 22, 2019 #84

don january

don january

don january

View attachment 91431 I got the SS screws into the blocks that my HZ Stab mounts down to so now I have the strength of 12 screws,Glue,Fin and its mounting hardware, and must not forget the ply siding and fabric. The 4 holes from the old mount will be filled with a dowel epoxied into place. Some of them odds and ends that come up. Oh and a word to the wise when counter sinking the holes for screw head try and use fingers only with the bit and then take a round shaped stone rotary tool bit and touch it off in the counter sink area. The screw heads will be covered by the fuselage ply covering never to be seen again so use plenty of epoxy on the screw and clean off any that oozed out. tail mount side shot.jpg tail mounting.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  5. Jan 7, 2020 #85

don january

don january

don january

Just a reminder to builders that are adding ply to the rudder base. Don't forget that larger hole for your socket and extension to fit into. rudder base 11.jpg

6. Jan 10, 2020 #86

don january

don january

don january

rudder base ply.jpg I was gluing my base ply to the rudder and just about got myself in a corner. :eek:The outside of the rudder is a piece of cake to varnish but I just about glued on the other side piece without getting the inside of the other varnished and with both sides in place it's next to impossible to reach inside and cover with the sealer unless the whole base is dipped in varnish and that would be to say the least much added weight. I then tapped off the inside glue line on the other side piece and varnished "BEFORE" gluing the ply base on. At this time hinges are removed and some healthy sanding time the entire unit will be varnished and then covered with fabric. Part of me has been debating on adding a 1/8"x3/4" wide balsa strip on top of the seam were the ply meets the rib center but I think the problem area would be at the base along the bow. Make sure and leave overhang for sanding at the bottom along the bow for a good uniform sanded shape that blends with the bow. Just some (Food for thought)

7. Jan 18, 2020 #87

don january

don january

don january

"A task each day and one day the plane is finished" Not sure who first taught this but great words of advise. I took on the project of getting some hinges cut for the Elevator today out of 1-1/2" Alum Sq. tube with 1/8" wall. 4 more will be made out of 1-1/4" x 1/8". I used my small table saw with an old used fine tooth blade and they cut very easily then a little sanding for the radius to shape out sharp corners. I got a chuckle out of the way the blade loaded up with Alum.:D but cleaned right off z-elevator hinge.jpg z elevator hinge 2.jpg

Tantrum1, Pops, jmt1991 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jan 24, 2020 #88

don january

don january

don january

A shot of me fitting the elevator hinges in place and checking fit. Looks like I can over hang the ply covering about 5/8" aft of the rear spar and add 1/2"x1/2" balsa triangular strip under to re-enforce ply over hang. Leading edge of elevator will be built up and radius shaped with balsa. To do To do oh so much to do y hinges.jpg

Pops and cluttonfred like this.
  9. Feb 18, 2020 at 12:25 AM #89

don january

don january

don january

Thought I'd stop in and show a new thing on the Taylor-mono. You have to mount the upper cowling some how so I took the Alum bump guards of of a Shure PA head and with 3 bolts down and a row of threaded holes I got mission done. The picture is just before drilling. For those who know Cubs whats the change in this one??? z-bars.jpg z cub.jpg

jmt1991 likes this.