KR2 and Taylormono plane

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

don january

Log Member
A up date on this picture. You can see the drag anti drag wood brace in Horizontal Stab 45 degree to the spar. I have decided to detail those with balsa to give more of a glue surface and help with directional forces that the ply skin will deal with. I also added a x-brace just back of the leading edge and leveled up with balsa to have a good glue line because down in that slot will be access to the mounting bolts and other end of bolts will be reached from access plate under HS. per print . It will be plied up to the width of the base of the Vertical Stab in that area and a water tight seal will be between the top of the HS and base of Fin. tail.jpg

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
Have you ever wondered what the heck the blue was for??blue to look.jpg it is a great trick to see how straight the lines are if you use a laser to check for straightness. HS mount.jpg this is for those builders who may one day get it done. just remember to hand test each and every piece of wood you glue in place because your life may depend on it. And last but not least the X-mas goodies that should be on all builders list, Jig tables and all the goodies to chew the wood up. And you said you want to build a plane. Well get er done my friends its just a matter of time and shes finishedx-mas goodies.jpg

don january

Log Member
Twas a few days from Christmas and all threw the house propellers where spinning and I caught a mouse. Sand paper was sanding and my hand was getting hot and I peeked under the tree to see what I got. The Taylor- mono was whining asking what you get me and I looked straight at it and said hush or next year you'll be my tree.:) :pilot: Merry Christmas every one 2019

don january

Log Member
View attachment 91431 I got the SS screws into the blocks that my HZ Stab mounts down to so now I have the strength of 12 screws,Glue,Fin and its mounting hardware, and must not forget the ply siding and fabric. The 4 holes from the old mount will be filled with a dowel epoxied into place. Some of them odds and ends that come up. Oh and a word to the wise when counter sinking the holes for screw head try and use fingers only with the bit and then take a round shaped stone rotary tool bit and touch it off in the counter sink area. The screw heads will be covered by the fuselage ply covering never to be seen again so use plenty of epoxy on the screw and clean off any that oozed out. tail mount side shot.jpg tail mounting.jpg

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
rudder base ply.jpg I was gluing my base ply to the rudder and just about got myself in a corner. :eek:The outside of the rudder is a piece of cake to varnish but I just about glued on the other side piece without getting the inside of the other varnished and with both sides in place it's next to impossible to reach inside and cover with the sealer unless the whole base is dipped in varnish and that would be to say the least much added weight. I then tapped off the inside glue line on the other side piece and varnished "BEFORE" gluing the ply base on. At this time hinges are removed and some healthy sanding time the entire unit will be varnished and then covered with fabric. Part of me has been debating on adding a 1/8"x3/4" wide balsa strip on top of the seam were the ply meets the rib center but I think the problem area would be at the base along the bow. Make sure and leave overhang for sanding at the bottom along the bow for a good uniform sanded shape that blends with the bow. Just some (Food for thought)

don january

Log Member
"A task each day and one day the plane is finished" Not sure who first taught this but great words of advise. I took on the project of getting some hinges cut for the Elevator today out of 1-1/2" Alum Sq. tube with 1/8" wall. 4 more will be made out of 1-1/4" x 1/8". I used my small table saw with an old used fine tooth blade and they cut very easily then a little sanding for the radius to shape out sharp corners. I got a chuckle out of the way the blade loaded up with Alum.:D but cleaned right off z-elevator hinge.jpg z elevator hinge 2.jpg

don january

Log Member
A shot of me fitting the elevator hinges in place and checking fit. Looks like I can over hang the ply covering about 5/8" aft of the rear spar and add 1/2"x1/2" balsa triangular strip under to re-enforce ply over hang. Leading edge of elevator will be built up and radius shaped with balsa. To do To do oh so much to doy hinges.jpg

don january

Log Member
Thought I'd stop in and show a new thing on the Taylor-mono. You have to mount the upper cowling some how so I took the Alum bump guards of of a Shure PA head and with 3 bolts down and a row of threaded holes I got mission done. The picture is just before drilling. For those who know Cubs whats the change in this one???z-bars.jpg z cub.jpg

don january

Log Member
To all who are following my build thread Thank you. I want to spend this time to share an over view of things that have come to mind on this build. For those who have started their build and ones who are debating to get started I found one area I over looked was "Am I in this alone" ? such as will I need a extra set of hands ? Tho the times has been far and few in between the situation has arose. It is my belief now that getting a reliable partner to share the labor and expense would defiantly speed things up a bit. I also discovered that the closer your build gets to actually looking like a aircraft in my view the work stays the same but the build seems like nothing is getting done and I think this due to the large amount of small jobs going on at once it puts the build in slow motion. At this time I'm still making hinges and working on the best way to fasten the hinge half's were if needed in the future be able to remove fittings with out cutting fabric or ply for access and that has become a challenge but doable. Out door temperature will be coming soon for the final coating of all tail surfaces and I want every thing other then covering complete and inspected. I still find myself tapping with a screw driver handle on the parts glued up and and listening for a place a glue joint has failed. Its probably a waste of time but it does help ease my mind for some reason. If any member would like to comment on the build please feel free to PM me. By the way the RC Cub in the last post the difference is I change the HS and elevator to my layout and have yet took it out to see if it comes home a hanger queen or in a garbage bag.:( One final thing I'd like to comment on is if you plan on building a all wood plane take close consideration of just whats truly involved in building the tail group. The Taylor- mono is one aircraft that has some very challenging steps of the build to reach. Hope all builders see their project to the end. :pilot: 8167561223_e99e5ebf3e_b.jpg

Attachments

don january

Log Member
I was working on the plane and was looking at the snow outside and my mind went back to these old days and got the feeling never give up.jeep and all.jpgt-m jeep.jpg

Pops

Log Member
That last 90% of the build is 90% long. For sure.
The KR's are a copy of the Taylor Mono with fiberglass skins.
Made me think about building the KR-2, back in the 1970's, you had to have the FAA inspect any thing before it was closed up. Remember the inspection of the box spars that was a copy of the Taylor Mono spars. Going from my old memory, but I think the EW of my KR was 490 lbs. I used a laminated wood windshield bow and windshield with a gull wing door copied from Diehl's blue KR-2 that I saw at OSH. His KR-2 was one of the first at OSH along with Wick's.
Also used a separate aluminum fuel tank with a removable alum skin forward of the windshield.

Side note-- About the same time at OSH, I was intently inspecting the couple KR-2's that was there and not paying attention to anything else and another man started doing the same thing. We were looking and remarking about how this and that was done, and after several minutes of talking together, I look up at him and it was Bob Hoover. He said he really like the KR-2.

Pops

Log Member
Which Bob Hoover, fighter/test/airshow pilot or VW guru?
Fighter/test/airshow pilot.
If you haven't read his book, you need to. Best stick that ever was.

I was setting under the wing of his Strike Commander and getting close to his airshow act at OSH. I got out of his way and he fired up and taxied out. When he landed dead stick and coasted back and made a turn and pulled up and parked in the very tracks in the grass from where he started when he fired the engines up. Luck ? He didn't need luck in flying.

Very, very , nice person. Never heard anyone say any different.

don january

Log Member
My fello "Hunker downers" I have been working on every darn part of the plane that has been completed. Its been a good time to pull any mounting hardware such as hinge half's and cable guides and brushing on a thin coat more of Epoxy and alcohol mix in the hard to reach places. Like most I'm waiting for some material to arrive and if and when I build again I will take more time and gather or buy all material on the build list of the prints to avoid this time consuming part of a build. On a side note I was talking with Pops about wings and have in thought of building not only the Diehl wing skin type of wings but also stock wings per print design and may be able to get a performance sheet on both wing sets for future builders. I'm still tapping away with a small rubber mallet on glue joints hoping for no fracture and "knock on wood" so far so good. Hope all are safe and well.throttle 3.jpg

don january

Log Member
I have a update on the HS mounting blocks (post #84). I took the 4 screws at the front of each block and removed and reamed out to allow 4 SS dowels 3/16 Dia x 1-1/2" and filled the holes with as much Epoxy I could force to stay in the hole and also coated the dowels them self's and slipped them into holes with a few light taps of a mallet. I think this will give more of a stronger support for the blocks. Also a side note to builders that may use this method make sure the grain of your blocks run forward and aft to help eliminate any splitting of blocks while mounting and don't be scared to really add a lot of epoxy were needed. I have a J3 CUB fuel cap and gauge for the fuel tank and will mount a site tube in cockpit for a backup gauge. I do have a elec fuel gauge mounted in instrument panel but I will use that hole for a different instrument or ?? To keep plane light I will have no starter or Elec and rely on hand held equipment for flight GPS/RADIO and what ever goodies that are available at the time or year it is completed 🛠

don january

Log Member
As seen in the pictures I did some bridge bracing to internal part of the root spars when first fitting the fuselage and I have decided to cut the root spars to a shorter length. The rear root spar is 22-1/2" beyond the fuselage side and front spar is nearly the same and I feel I'd get much better strength if I shortened them to about 14" outboard of fuselage for wing walk area and on the plus side the aileron hardware and cables from the KR-2 will be of plenty length for the Taylor-m. I plan on cutting back to the next vertical from the spar tip and gives me fresh untouched wood for drilling mounting holes for the WAF. I'm glad I marked the verticals on top of spars before gluing on the ply web after adding bracing. One thing this does change is my main landing gear What I have come to consider my boat anchors they are so heavy. Now with shortening the spars I believe a Alum Grove type gear would be in the planes near future.SPAR # 1 FRONT.jpg:pilot:SPAR # 2.jpg wonder bird.jpgwunder bird 1.jpg

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
Here it is early May and more time on my hands then ever before for the plane and I find myself doing a lot of small projects on the Taylor-mono. I was all set to mount the hinges from the KR-2 onto the tail group but just before drilling holes I looked at the hinges a little closer and found the play in the bolt holes to be just a bit roomy then what feels right so like any one with more time then money I decided to build a new set with 3/4"od Alum sq. tubing slipped fit into a 1" od Alum sq. tube and by doing this I was able to get 2 bolts per each hinge half's for mounting. On the KR-2 hinges the original builder choose to use one single bolt with a alignment block glued beside the hinge half this was creative but I feel safer with dual bolts. Main thing is the build goes on and with spring cleaning and the condition the country has found it self in I have to admit at times I feel guilty of spending time on the plane and not in a soup kitchen helping out.🌎elevator hinges.jpgthis is the blanks I cut for hinges before drilling mounting holes and pin holes. Very light and strong

Last edited: