KR2 and Taylormono plane

Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by don january, May 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 19, 2019 #61

don january

don january

don january

A fellow member has helped me out with some fabric and some other items so I'm watching every video on rib stitching and getting ready to cover the Elevator and rudder. Progress has been slow because of the planting season in my area but each day I get a little closer to completion. So close but yet so far to go. Thanks much Pops for your help

Little Scrapper and cdlwingnut like this.
  2. May 9, 2019 #62

don january

don january

don january

Last post I mentioned how I wanted to start covering the elevator and rudder but I have decided to take some more building time to smooth up the drop between the gussets and caps. I have chosen to apply balsa strips on each rib of 1/16" thick and at needed width to get the fabric to lay evenly across the entire plain of the control surface. It will be a small weight penalty but will give a much cleaner looking covering job IMO. picture is of the elevator and rudder before this step I'm at. And like usual I'm waiting for more materials to move along. I often wonder how the heck Wicks organ company built that KR-2 so fast years ago.o_O fus 22.jpg

3. Jun 11, 2019 #63

don january

don january

don january

throttle 1.jpg Just a monthly update and nothing to major done to justify log picture. Beings I'm having to take the Fuselage up out of my basement like I got it down there I'm trying to complete the Fuselage as much as possible before moving it to an outside building. Outside root spars will be mounted in place and there goes the 30" width needed to get past the door. My building steps is allowing me to complete tail group and elev/rudder cables fitted and done. I can apply ply to the fus. and even get cowling semi fitted and wind screen complete. Once the roots are in I can focus on wings and engine also main gear can be fitted down stairs and removed when Spars need to be pulled for taking the Fus. out. It is rather amazing how much can be done in a small work area on your plane it has been a trick to not build yourself into a corner or in other words stuck in the basement.:eek: Progress has been slow but many small things are getting done.

4. Jul 26, 2019 #64

don january

don january

don january

Took fuselage and tail group out side for a few days and got a good look at every thing in the sun light. Added stain were it was needing coated and was able to look close for any glue joints that may be in stress and all looks good.I have some nice 3/16" ply and have been calculating on weight difference using it other then the 2 MM ply from firewall to seat back bulkhead plans call for. I believe gained weight will be worth the penalty for the strength I will get with a bit stronger ply on the sides. I also have been cutting foam blocks to glue in between Horz. Stab leading edge ribs to contour to shape for more glue area and strength for the 1 mm ply sheeting to connect to. Early wild guess on empty weight 460 LB and with Diehl skinned KR-2 wings hoping for a gross of 900-1100 lb. Like I said just guessing at this time. Picture is of elevator cable pulley behind seat bulkhead and base bolts go threw fuselage aft spar pulley.jpg

Little Scrapper and cdlwingnut like this.
  5. Aug 28, 2019 #65

don january

don january

don january

Just a quick post to let members know I have been working steady on 4 different areas on the Taylor. Root ribs and wing walk area, fuel tank, wind screen, and ply sheeting and fabric on tail feathers. Wow only 2,000 things more to go. ;)

6. Sep 15, 2019 #66

don january

don january

don january

I was messing with an idea to mount the wind screen and came up with some tabs that was easy to make. I took a bug deflector I had laying around for my truck and found a nice piece of formed Alum that held the Plexiglas on the front of the truck. I cut 3/4" long pieces and started to cut and file to the shape and angle I wanted. Next is to drill some holes and get ready for the screen. I figure that when the screen is down tight I can add a rubber trim mold under between tabs to get it air tight. This is what home built is all about.:) Some may ask why the molding under the screen?? Well look close at the tab and picture it on the plane. wind screen tabs 1.jpg wind screen tabs.jpg wind screen tabs 1.jpg wind screen tabs.jpg

jmt1991, akwrencher and proppastie like this.
  7. Oct 3, 2019 #67

don january

don january

don january

I thought maybe you all was thinking I was slacking on the build and maybe just a bit. I did manage to get the ribs for the wing skins closer to being ready. I have been cutting 8 root ribs out of 3/16" ply and working on main spars. The wings will have a nice tapper in the trailing edge and now is a good time to look into aileron spar location and control horns. wing ribs.jpg

cdlwingnut likes this.
  8. Oct 3, 2019 #68

don january

don january

don january

A couple of pictures of what stage I'm at with the Diehl wings you can see the tapper. Best I not mess up the skins at a price of $2750.00 for the set. I do believe it will make for a nice flying and looking T-mono. wing 2.jpg wing 1.jpg

9. Oct 20, 2019 #69

don january

don january

don january

Was given a 18"x40"x 9.5" deep boat Alum tank and I think with some creative cutting I can make a approx 7 gallon header tank to fit the T-mono. I plan on trying to mount closest to C.G. as possible and looking and with measurements it looks to land in the area between the fire wall and instrument panel. If this works out a fellow T-mono builder will get the other half for his needs alum. tank.jpg

jmt1991 and Bill-Higdon like this.
  10. Nov 5, 2019 #70

don january

don january

don january

Rudder in post #62 shows how rib caps are inset into rudder spar and this picture is of the last gusset's being applied per plans. After they are glued in place I will fill between all gusset areas with Balsa to get nice level plain for fabric to set on and to be stitched to. Bottom rib bay will be covered with ply with a small tube at bottom for a drain if moisture was to gather. a rudder trim.jpg

cdlwingnut, mcrae0104 and jmt1991 like this.
  11. Nov 5, 2019 #71

don january

don january

don january

For those who are following my build log I wanted to advise that once glue is applied try and get glue flow heading towards the leading edge of the part being glued. Some times it's ok flat but in cases such as the rudder gussets its nice to get the glue bunched up at the leading edge of spar to cover those hidden areas out of sight. And don't forget to test clamp first what ever it takes.;) a rudder part2.jpg

cdlwingnut and jmt1991 like this.
  12. Nov 6, 2019 #72

don january

don january

don january

One step closer if you look close a rudder 10.jpg what a shame to cover it up but won't fly if I don't. Little more ply and some balsa then ready for Dacron and stitching.

Pops, cdlwingnut and jmt1991 like this.
  13. Nov 11, 2019 #73

don january

don january

don january

The bottom of rudder gets covered with 3.mm ply and there is two lock nuts that can be a trick to reach when covered so I drilled a 7/8" hole in base brace to allow room for the socket and swivel and extension to reach the nuts RUDDER BASE 1.jpg This can be one area that you can get yourself into a corner because even if rudder is uncovered the ply siding will make it very hard if not impossible to get to nut's with stock type rib. RUDDER 18.jpg Next pic. is of how the balsa is getting the overall surface to blend into a solid flat surface RUDDER 18.jpg

Pops, jmt1991, delta and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nov 16, 2019 at 1:29 AM #74

don january

don january

don january

Elevator is the next victim on my to do list and I'm still having a blast with my build. I can see why some people would just rather hang the part on the wall it is a shame to cover up such cool looking parts. rudder elevator.jpg

jmt1991, mcrae0104 and BJC like this.