• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

KOLB Mark III Project - Phoenix AZ $8500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PagoBay

KOLB Mark III - Phoenix AZ $8500 - PROJECT 85% Complete

I was considering purchasing this aircraft but my location and travel restrictions make buying an airplane now very difficult. After expressing strong interest in purchasing but backing out, I thought maybe a capable buyer could be found here on HBA. So I spoke with the Builder/Owner/Seller and got permission to place this project on HBA. He had some serious health set backs and does not have the ability to finish out the aircraft.

This is a continuation of a discussion specific to the Suzuki Geo Engine that was the builder's engine choice. I will post a link from there to this thread to connect with this information on the entire project.

Full Set of Photos is attached here as a zip file.

If you are interested in buying, please send a PM to me as the OP on HBA Forum with your contact details. I will have the seller contact you directly. Please provide email contact.

THIS THREAD IS OPEN FOR ANY AND ALL DISCUSSION and QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS PROJECT. Having reviewed past posts on HBA for the KOLB aircraft, I think this project will be well received.

thanks
RMM-Guam

Here is the list of all upgrades from the stock kit. All modifications comply with FAA AC 43-13 as the standard for general aviation construction and repairs..
KOLB MARK III - PLUS extensive upgrade modifications
Project Status: 85 % complete, FAA N- number assigned
PRICE: $8,500

*** GENERAL UPGRADES ***
COVERING - Original Stits system fabric and Polytone finish
ENGINE - Geo Metro 3 cylinder 1000cc fuel injected with Raven belt Redrive, turbocharged to 5 psi boost pressure INSTRUMENTATION - Main custom aluminum panel -Tachometer, Turn&bank, Altimeter, Airspeed, VSI, AMP meter, Volt meter Secondary overhead Pod Panel with engine instruments - Oil pressure, Coolant temp, Turbo boost, Fuel pressure
BRAKES - Independent hydraulic disk toe brakes on rudder pedals
FUEL TANK - Aluminum custom welded with electric fuel pump, 12 gal
COOLING - Water cooled by radiator with thermostat and temp sensor placed in front of engine

*** AIFRAME MODIFICATIONS ***
Typical KOLB air frame details and connections have been upgraded to be closer to general aviation framing standards as governed by FAA AC43.13.
-1- All welding on the steel cage done with TIG process.
-2- All control surfaces are equipped with steel Piper style pin hinges instead of piano type
-3- All control surfaces have aluminum sheet metal bent trailing edge 1 1/2" wide, providing smooth and sharp TE
-4- All ribs are attached to leading and trailing edge with gusset plates with FOUR (4) rivets per joint
-5- Wing leading edge area covered with 2024 aluminum sheathing 8" wide top & bottom
-6- Control stick relocated to between pilot's knees
-7- Custom built aluminum flight instrument panel at front, secondary engine pod panel overhead
-8- Engine mount custom built for Geo Metro auto conversion, original Rotax mount available
-9- Engine auto conversion made strictly per Raven Redrive modification manual

*** OVERALL CONDITION ***
The engine has been test run with the turbocharging and all instrumentation. One new extra complete engine is available.
An area of the wing fabric was heat damaged by portable garage heater, causing the tapes to delaminate and overshrink in some areas. The damaged fabric has been stripped and it can be repaired per AC 43.13 guidelines, by glued patches ( Vne 150 mph ), or by sewing the joints and taping over. The tail and fuselage were not affected.
Everything to complete the this airplane is available, including required hardware and electrics, except the propeller which was never purchased. Plans and construction manuals for airframe and the engine are included.
This is an Arizona airplane - so no signs of corrosion, none !

*** BUILDER INFORMATION ***
This project was built by an experienced home builder and researcher with Masters in Structural Engineering, creator of three different aircraft projects. The quality of design and workmanship is superb and guaranteed.
Offered for sale by the original builder / owner. Location: Phoenix AZ

INTERESTED BUYERS: Send a PM to me as the OP on HBA Forum with contact details. I will have the seller contact you directly. Please provide email contact.

Attachments

• Kolb Phoenix.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 77
Back