• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Koala 202 rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly_boy_bc

I have a chance to get GREAT DEAL on a partially rebuilt Fisher Koala 202 ultralight. I am quite familliar with the Fisher fleet as I once (Briefly) owned a Fisher Super Koala.

The wings and fuselage have been extensively refurbished and should be ready for recovering. I will be taking advantage of my local RAA chapter (Canadian version of your EAA) and their inspectors and technical assistance but I need some advice from "the man who has one".

It is completely stock (normal width, normal span, original undercarriage) so I wonder if anybody knows about any suggested upgrades or safety issues that should be addressed before recovering? I know that the Super Koala had an issue with the undercarriage needing to be "beefed up" to withstand normal operations. Is this an issue with the 202 UL version?

If YOURS was being recovered what would you add/change/modify before covering?

Does anyone know if I can make 103 legal weight with a 1/2 VW engine? I believe it should because it is supposed to make 103 with a Rotax 447 and the 447 with starter, redrive and exhaust is about the same weight as the 1/2 VW with NO starter or redrive but I would like to hear that someone has done it and remained legal.

ANY issues you think I should know about would be greatly appreciated.

Gary (Flyboy)
CFAIR....Got wings?

Back