Kitty Hawk reveals Heaviside, its latest flying vehicle

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheesefactory

Looks like a scale model to me, too... but so what? They’re proving out the control algorithms and aerodynamics (other than Reynolds number effects). I applaud them for doing tests with real physical hardware, even if it is scaled down.
Well, if it was just some guy building it in his garage, or maybe even a small startup posting a proof of concept video then maybe it wouldn't be a big problem. But being that this is from literally the 10th richest person on the planet (worth > $50B), you wouldn't think they'd deceptively intermix footage of a scale model while implying it is the full sized thing.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Well, if it was just some guy building it in his garage, or maybe even a small startup posting a proof of concept video then maybe it wouldn't be a big problem. But being that this is from literally the 10th richest person on the planet (worth > $50B), you wouldn't think they'd deceptively intermix footage of a scale model while implying it is the full sized thing.
So there are a few of you that are going to have to re-think your ability to discern CGI from models from full size aircraft.

I know for a fact, from the sources (and from having seen the actual aircraft), that the airplane in the video is a full size aircraft, flying in real live air, exactly as shown. Not a model, and not CGI. I also know for a fact that the noise measurement of 40 dB, at the distance claimed is a measurement - not an estimate or an calculation.

Some apologies to Kittyhawk are in order, I believe.

Wanttaja

I know for a fact, from the sources (and from having seen the actual aircraft), that the airplane in the video is a full size aircraft, flying in real live air, exactly as shown. Not a model, and not CGI. I also know for a fact that the noise measurement of 40 dB, at the distance claimed is a measurement - not an estimate or an calculation.
There's what looks to be a scissorlift at about 48 seconds into the video. If the final scenes of the vehicle on the asphalt pad was videoed from the lift, it will have the effect of making the vehicle look smaller.

The same N-Number is shown on both the ground and air shots...N221HV. That is a valid number, and is registered to Kitty Hawk. No certification category is listed. It is listed as a "Fixed Wing Multi Engine" with eight electric engines. However, it is listed as not having any seats, similar to the listings for various drones.

Ron Wanttaja

henryk

So there are a few of you that are going to have to re-think your ability to discern CGI from models from full size aircraft.

-for todays technology this project is "THE BEST OF THE BESTS"...

(much moore energyefficiancy flapping,oscillating thrusters for tomorrow !)

Andy_RR

There is no doubt that something is flying but there is huge doubt in my mind still that many/most of the flight scenes in the promo video are anything more than things "digitally remastered...", especially the more dynamic scenes

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
There is no doubt that something is flying but there is huge doubt in my mind still that many/most of the flight scenes in the promo video are anything more than things "digitally remastered...", especially the more dynamic scenes
Moon landing was a hoax, eh? You (and a few others) are wrong in this instance. Feel free to admit it. It happens to us all on occasion.

narfi

I love a good conspiracy as good as the next guy, but I think there was a moon landing. I do doubt there is a nazi base on the dark side of it however.
If you say it was full sized footage I believe you. But why don't you answer the question about how many souls were on board?
How different does that type of flight feel on the body? Is it more prone to motion sickness? Without experiencing it I do not know, but it doesn't look like it would feel natural.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
But why don't you answer the question about how many souls were on board?
I didn't realize that I owed someone an answer. Unmanned in the video. Pretty clear in the video that there's no-one in the cockpit - you can easily see this in certain angles. From the standpoint of motion, it's no different than helicopter activity.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
It is interesting to see how many people like naysaying about eVTOLs. Maybe because it is because they are unfamiliar to most people (if I haven't seen it myself I won't believe it!).

Andy_RR

Moon landing was a hoax, eh? You (and a few others) are wrong in this instance. Feel free to admit it. It happens to us all on occasion.
Are you saying that every scene in the promo video is of a man-carrying- capable sized aircraft under programmed or remote control?

Like much in the eVTOL space, there's a lot being implied and very little being actually demonstrated beyond a cautious hover.

If Kittyhawk are really at this stage of capability then that's amazing and they are to be congratulated. Why not publish a video that's unequivocally a demo flight? You know, something like the electric R44 where there's no denying it actually happened!

Last edited:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Kittyhawk has flown multiple designs well beyond the hover many times.
When they are ready to take your money, you can be confident they will show a lot more.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Are you saying that every scene in the promo video is of a man-carrying- capable sized aircraft under programmed or remote control?
I thought my statement was reasonably clear. No CGI, no models. Real airplane, real flight. Whole video.

Like much in the eVTOL space, there's a lot being implied and very little being actually demonstrated beyond a cautious hover.
And in this video, you can see a vertical takeoff, a transition to forward flight, a flight, a transition to hover, and a landing. Not sure what else you'd want to see.

If Kittyhawk are really at this stage of capability then that's amazing and they are to be congratulated.
Then you should do so, because they are. Just as the BlackFly from Opener. Vertical takeoff, transition, flight, transition, and landing. And a few others as well, although I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Why not publish a video that's unequivocally a demo flight?
I'm pretty sure that this is that. What, other than a few people not being able to tell the difference between real airplanes and CGI (in the opposite direction, strangely) is not unequivocal about this video?

You know, something like the electric R44 where there's no denying it actually happened!
Since there are people that deny the moon landing, that the world is spherical, or any number of other proven facts, there's nothing that's "undeniable". But unless you're going to claim that KittyHawk is committing fraud, you're going to need to admit that they've done what they show in the video.

cheapracer

Log Member
It is interesting to see how many people like naysaying about eVTOLs. Maybe because it is because they are unfamiliar to most people (if I haven't seen it myself I won't believe it!).
I own 3 EV cars, and I have an EV dealership.

I am quite aware of the power drain in certain situations, I've posted a video previously related, and I am not a naysayer, but the amount of power required to lift off and land just doesn't suit today's battery tech, and with no other battery currently in sight, it's a bit of a non-starter. at this time.

Nothing more than a hobby tech, unless something radically changes.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
the amount of power required to lift off and land just doesn't suit today's battery tech, and with no other battery currently in sight, it's a bit of a non-starter. at this time.

Nothing more than a hobby tech, unless something radically changes.
Take-off and landing are a few seconds long each. Not exactly a radical thing to do with an electric motor.

proppastie

Log Member
funniest thread here I have ever read.....where is Gyro-Copter Girl when we need her.

cheapracer

Log Member
Take-off and landing are a few seconds long each. Not exactly a radical thing to do with an electric motor.
Believe what you want to, I have lived with EV cars for the last 4 years daily, i know what i know from experieance and experimentation.

I can't connect to Youtube at the moment or I would load the video I did a few years ago related to and mimicking VTOL battery usage, it's on this site in another thread somewhere.

Pipistrel probably have the best balance of weight, power and endurance, and they can only manage 40 to 45 minutes of realistic flight time, and that's not with the severe energy sapping of VTOL.

cheesefactory

Maybe you should read my post more carefully. I have no doubt that the guy has more than enough money to make one fly, considering that he has spent >$100M on the past couple models and they all do fly. There is video of them flying. There is no doubt that they have a flying one of this one too. Is it entirely possible that there is some footage of the full sized thing flying in the video? Sure. My complaint is about the cheesiness of the intermixing of footage of what appears to be a scale model. Go to the 3-second mark on the video and watch it again.

Are there pictures of that launchpad with a person or some known sized object for scale? Those look like blades of grass, not full-sized bushes. Again, I could be wrong, hence my original post asking, "Am I wrong?"