Kitty Hawk reveals Heaviside, its latest flying vehicle

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It's not just about noise. A helicopter could be silent if there was demand for that.
The city dwellers will ban things that can fall on them and spy on them.

Last edited:

henryk

pwood66889

The US Army didn't really spare that much expense on the helicopters I worked on. Of course, their thinking probably factored in reaction time - "You can hear me now, but can you get the troops up, the guns positioned and start making my life difficult before I'm in and out?"
I feel the constraints remain energy source weight and the public feeling the reward outstrips the risk.

Derswede

Guess they are having trouble with keeping the weight down too? Heavy Side? Really? Who thought up that name? HeavenSide maybe, but as mentioned, where do you park the darn thing? I can see it as a toy for the rich....have been in some traffic jams and would like something like this, buzz over everyone's head, land on the CEO landing pad, and go to work. Probably their real intended market.

Derswede

flyboy2160

Hmmmmm......Haven't we heard this before?

Thrun says that because cars have to navigate indirect streets but in the air “we can go in a straight line, we believe we will be roughly a third of the energy cost per mile as Tesla.” And with shared UberPool-style flights, he sees the cost of energy getting down to just “$0.30 per mile.”

litespeed

It may be named after a deserving person but the public won't remember, that just the name.

Heaviside ?

Like calling a submarine the "Sinker" class

A tyre company "Slippery"

A lawyers firm " Grabbitt Robbitt and Runn"

The claims are just as funny. I will believe it when I see it flying to pick me up.

pictsidhe

Guess they are having trouble with keeping the weight down too? Heavy Side? Really? Who thought up that name? HeavenSide maybe, but as mentioned, where do you park the darn thing? I can see it as a toy for the rich....have been in some traffic jams and would like something like this, buzz over everyone's head, land on the CEO landing pad, and go to work. Probably their real intended market.

Derswede
British physicist and electrical pioneer. His work is hard to follow in places, but is the foundation for a lot of easier to follow stuff.

flyboy2160

The name: maybe some iGooglehead engineer thought they were making a 'step change' in the status quo. Ha ha, like we've never heard that before.

Continuing with the math theme, it's more likely that it ends up like most of these as a Dirac delta function: one and done.

cheesefactory

I don't get it. Why would they make all these claims and stage a picture of a guy crouching next to what appears to be a full scale model (prototype?) and then show a video of a toy scale model flying? Look at the blades of grass... it's clearly a toy. Look at the video timestamp:

Am I wrong?

edit: I guess this forum doesn't like timestamps... it's at the 1:00 minute mark

gtae07

Looks like a scale model to me, too... but so what? They’re proving out the control algorithms and aerodynamics (other than Reynolds number effects). I applaud them for doing tests with real physical hardware, even if it is scaled down.

Steve C

That's what I think too. Even models with stabilization don't fly that perfectly smooth. If we could hear it hover you'd be able to tell if it's a real flying model. They certainly don't want you to hear that because it probably sounds annoying just like any quad copter. Every single vtol pitch on YouTube has the audio cut out.

Last edited: